GeForce 9800 GTX
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, I am new so be kind.

I built a (lifehacker) GA-EP45-UD-3P FB Hackintosh based on "Install Snow Leopard on Your Hacintosh PC, No Hacking Required". I used a USB flash drive and a retail SN 10.6.3 over 5 years ago.
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD-3P FB
Intel Core 2 Quad 3.0GHz - Q9650
GeForce 9800 GTX
4GB Patriot RAM
Pioneer DVD SATA
WD 1T Black SATA
Trendnet TEG-PCITXR Network Card.
Antec Sonata II case

I have been reluctant to upgrade because I am sure some of my apps are PPC and I didn't see any need to upgrade until now. I both upgraded SL to 10.6.8 and created a fresh El Capitan on a separate drive. I have one problem that I am aware of on my SL installation. I know the hardware is well supported so I was surprised.

At sleep, I hear a loud noise (possibly fan on GF9800) and the screen turns black. Fan does not shut off. System will not wake after keyboard, mouse activity or even tapping the power button as in 10.6.3 installation.

Upgrade to 10.6.8 was according to "iBoot + MultiBeast: Install Mac OS X on any Intel-based PC" from toneymacx86 Legacy Blog except that I already had SL installed. I built an iBoot 3.3.0 CD, ran MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8.pkg and MultiBeast 3.10.1.
In MultiBeast I used blind faith and selected "EasyBeast Install" and "System Utilities" and nothing else. System does not sleep gracefully.

Question 1: Before I learn more about kexts and flags, is there a safe method to remove the existing bootloader (Chimera v1.70r1394) and kexts installed by MultiBeast so that I can try again? Is this a bad idea?

Question 2: If I choose "UserDSDT Install" and "System Utilities" instead of "EasyBeast Install" and "System Utilities", do I still ignore "Drivers & Bootloaders", "Customization" or "OSx86 Software" options or do I have to select any? I downloaded DSDT-GA-EP45-UD3R-1.0-F12.aml. I have already placed a copy on my administrator desktop. I have not renamed it. Is this the right thing to do or do I have to name it DSDT.aml? How do I know if it was found by MultiBeast (log or something).

Also, when I tried to do this after the initial EasyBeast installation, I get stuck at the grey Apple logo screen. Fortunately, I had a backup disk made just before UserDST install attempt so I copied that back to my drive.

Question 3: Ultimately I would like both disks on my system. Is it safe and easy to install Clover on my SN disk so that I can choose my OS at boot time? If so, is there a version of Clover that I should use?

Thanks in advance to the wonderful people who support tonymacx68.

Last edited:
Are you using a DSDT from your board? Using a DSDT from the forum database for a UD3R when you have a UD3P is not a good idea. Selecting EasyBeast from MultiBeast installs NullCPUPM kext, which will kill all power management including wake/sleep. If you have a DSDT you can remove the NullCPUPM kext without encountering any problems. I would try removing the kext first and testing sleep to see if that was the problem.

Remove the DSDT and boot with the NullCPUPM kext installed, extract your DSDT, archive it and post it.
http://macdownload.informer.com/dsdtse/download/ has a link to the EVO site you can use to download DSDTSE app to extract your DSDT.

I removed the DSDT.aml from the /Extra directory. Restarted. Created a dsdt.dsl file using the dsdtse (EVO) utility. The screen resolution was very different.

There was no NullCPUPM in the /S/L/E directory so I looked and found and then removed the one in /Extra/Extensions and tried to restart. Got the Apple Panic screen. Booted from the iBoot CD, replaced the NullCPUPM and restarted again. This time I never got past the Apple logo (the one with the stripe on it. The one I have become accustomed to since upgrading.

Booted from the iBoot CD again, replaced the DSDT.aml file (did not get past apple screen so booted again from iBoot) and then ran MultiBeast with the EasyBeast option. Booted successfully but now I have the Apple Logo without the stripe.

Here is the dsdt.dsl file that I generated. Also the original DSDT.aml file. They are foreign to me.

manage attachments tells me the dsdt.dsl file is too big (199.6kb). What should I do with it?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    19.7 KB · Views: 195
I tried the new DSDT file. I first deleted the one in /Extras and then renamed the one you gave me and copied it into /Extras.

Same results. Screen goes dark, Graphics card fan goes on and stays on (I waited a good minute to see if it might go off). No response from keyboard or mouse to wake.

I compressed my DSDT.dsl file that I created earlier. Here it is. Thanks for taking a look.

Attachments

• dsdt.zip
    13.8 KB · Views: 116
I tried the new DSDT file. I first deleted the one in /Extras and then renamed the one you gave me and copied it into /Extras.

Same results. Screen goes dark, Graphics card fan goes on and stays on (I waited a good minute to see if it might go off). No response from keyboard or mouse to wake.

I compressed my DSDT.dsl file that I created earlier. Here it is. Thanks for taking a look.

Without knowing all your hardware it is difficult to diagnose a problem. Please update your profile with your hardware: board, board rev, BIOS rev, CPU, GPU (see mine for an example)

I updated my profile. The FB in my MoBo and the BIOS 6.00PG come from my POST screen. Manual identifies FB as BIOS version as indicated in original post.
The rev 1.6 come from the box in which my MoBo was purchased. When I get a chance, I will remove my ethernet card and confirm on board.

I updated my profile. The FB in my MoBo and the BIOS 6.00PG come from my POST screen. Manual identifies FB as BIOS version as indicated in original post.
The rev 1.6 come from the box in which my MoBo was purchased. When I get a chance, I will remove my ethernet card and confirm on board.

You basically have the "LifeHacker" build - same as I have, same board and GPU, but I have the Q9400 CPU instead. Not sure why you are having this problem - if you have some time to experiment, Install the earliest version OS X you have from DVD and get the system running and booting from HDD with the DSDT in /Extra by selecting UserDSDT in MultiBeast and having the DSDT on the desktop.
Reboot after MultiBeast and log in. Let it sit and see if it sleeps. I will maybe have time to set mine up again this weekend and do some checking for what works.

In order to install SL 10.6.3, I have tried to empty a 2TB disk I have (by putting most of it onto my new El Capitan drive). I have partitioned the drive to 2x 1TB volumes. I am now putting the files I have saved onto my El Capitan drive back onto the second volume/partition. Once this is done , I will be able to install 10.6.3 from my retail DVD according to the instructions in "iBoot + MultiBeast: Install Mac OS X on any Intel-based PC" from toneymacx86 Legacy Blog onto the first volume/partition. I will stop after the 10.6.3 install to test sleep. If all is well, I will then upgrade to 10.6.8 and see if sleep works.

I will place the DSDT.aml file that you provided me into the Admin's desktop and perform the "UserDSDT Install" and NOT the "EasyBeast Install". If I understand correctly, I will also select "System Utilities" and nothing else.

I am curious to see if this makes a difference. The original 10.6.3 that I installed from a flash drive did not have any sleep issues. When I build the original SL I may have had some problems but I honestly do not remember any.

In order to install SL 10.6.3, I have tried to empty a 2TB disk I have (by putting most of it onto my new El Capitan drive). I have partitioned the drive to 2x 1TB volumes. I am now putting the files I have saved onto my El Capitan drive back onto the second volume/partition. Once this is done , I will be able to install 10.6.3 from my retail DVD according to the instructions in "iBoot + MultiBeast: Install Mac OS X on any Intel-based PC" from toneymacx86 Legacy Blog onto the first volume/partition. I will stop after the 10.6.3 install to test sleep. If all is well, I will then upgrade to 10.6.8 and see if sleep works.

I will place the DSDT.aml file that you provided me into the Admin's desktop and perform the "UserDSDT Install" and NOT the "EasyBeast Install". If I understand correctly, I will also select "System Utilities" and nothing else.

I am curious to see if this makes a difference. The original 10.6.3 that I installed from a flash drive did not have any sleep issues. When I build the original SL I may have had some problems but I honestly do not remember any.

If the 2TB drive was formatted with OS X Disk Utility, and formatted GUID then you could have just created a small partition on the end of the drive to test OS X.

MultiBeast selections would be UserDSDT, System Utilities, audio and networking kexts if you want it fully working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back