Contribute
Register

GA-77 Chipset 10.9 USB 3.0 / 2.0 issues occurring (see inside).... (please advise)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z68-XP-UD3
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
GA-77 Chipset 10.9 USB 3.0 / 2.0 (Success)

Hi everyone,

I haven't found a post regarding this for Mavericks as of yet so hopefully this helps and I'm not the only one. I have checked the forums and found issues in 10.8.5 and wondered if it just carried over on this? I haven't found seen any other posts regarding it.

Did a fresh install of 10.9 on GA-77N-WIFI and found that USB does not work correctly on the system.

Issue Found:

(with vanilla install) -
System can't recognize 2.0 but can recognize 3.0 in main board 3.0 ports. The 2.0 ports on board recognize 3.0 and 2.0

(Generic USB 3.0 / Multibeast)
I went ahead and installed the generic USB 3.0 from Multibeast and that completely breaks USB functionality. Mainboard 3.0 ports don't mount 2.0 at all, and 3.0 once before locking up ports (restart fixes it). USB 3.0 Front ports are not mounting 2.0 or 3.0 either.

attempted:

1. Tried newest SoundForge version of GenericUSB, issue still exists
2. Matched Bios settings with Tony Macs 7 series Gigabyte post, no change
3. Tried from Zenith432 "-gux_defer_usb2" causes the xHC to defer the management of USB2 ports and their devices to one of the EHC controllers on the PCH (south-bridge). This option can usually also be configured in the BIOS for Intel Series 7 chipsets.

Has anyone else come across this and is there a fix that I just haven't seen posted already? Is this the same issue from 10.8.5?

Any help is greatly appreciated or confirmation of issue for others as well.

TIA :)

=-=-=-=
GA-Z77N-WIFI 1.0
f2 Bios
DSDT from TonyMac
Intel HD
16GB Ram
120GB SSD
Bitfenix Prodigy Case
=-=-=-=--=

GA-77 Chipset 10.9 USB 3.0 / 2.0 issues (see inside)

Solution:

Currently posted on other forums across the net this was said to be working...

Per Zenith432:

"-gux_defer_usb2" causes the xHC to defer the management of USB2 ports and their devices to one of the EHC controllers on the PCH (south-bridge). This option can usually also be configured in the BIOS for Intel Series 7 chipsets.

"-gux_no_idle" disables some feature for idle-mode on Intel's chip. I couldn't test this, so I added an option to disable it.

I enabled both in boot list.
<kernel flags>
<string>-gux_defer_usb2 -gux_no_idle</string>

System recognizes all ports correctly eject and wake from sleep correctly.

Don't know if I needed both but Defer_usb2 does not work alone on my board

I'm having the same issue with USB3 on my GA-Z77-DS3H. I applied <string>-gux_defer_usb2 -gux_no_idle</string> to boot list to no avail...hopefully a fix will come soon. I'm also with out iMessaging. Other than that everything seems to work.

SUCCESS!! Well Kind of....
I added this (below) to org.chameleon.Boot.plist
<key>Kernel Flags</key>

restarted and my front USB3 worked!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 7.00.48 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 7.00.48 PM.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 317
Exactly right :)

To clarify,

1. I downloaded the newest revision of the driver that's on Multibeast
(hXXp://sourceforge.net/projects/genericusbxhci/files/) (replace xx's with T's)

2. I installed using Wizard and rebuilt permissions and cache

3. Added to my boot list and saved

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

4. Reboot.

I now have usb 3.0 and 2.0 ports all working (mounting) and able to accept 3.0 and 2.0 usb devices and speeds.

Hope that helps

Exactly right :)

To clarify,

1. I downloaded the newest revision of the driver that's on Multibeast
(hXXp://sourceforge.net/projects/genericusbxhci/files/) (replace xx's with T's)

2. I installed using Wizard and rebuilt permissions and cache

3. Added to my boot list and saved

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

4. Reboot.

I now have usb 3.0 and 2.0 ports all working (mounting) and able to accept 3.0 and 2.0 usb devices and speeds.

Hope that helps

Tried this but not fixed. Usb 3.0 is recognized and devices are mounted and can be accessed but when data bigger than 2 GB is transferred it stops transferring and gets stuck.

odd.. this actually killed all my USB 3. It used to mount as USB 2 now they don't even show up

I install GenericUSBXHCI 1.2.7 and usb3 work fine,
The usb3 ports on board recognize 3.0 and 2.0

The problem is the transfer of data itself, My USB 3.0 is recognized and shows devices but transfer higher than 2 GB aprox get stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back