Contribute
Register

G5 USB 3.0 Front Panel and Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Designing the placement for a unified pcv is easy but routing to connectors is way to hard if I use FireWire. For the amount of people who want/use FireWire in the front, it's not worth the effort of routing and having manufacturing issues.

Designing the placement for a unified pcv is easy but routing to connectors is way to hard if I use FireWire. For the amount of people who want/use FireWire in the front, it's not worth the effort of routing and having manufacturing issues.

I dont know which software you use to design PCB but most of software nowadays supports auto-routing

I use eagle cad and I see this as very simple PCB and shouldnt be hard to route.

When I autorout, it ends up placing traces that are ugly as all hell and has too many vias to manufacture without too much cost. Also single FireWire connectors of the right type are impossible to find and the best I could do in that standpoint was $20 or so for a hundred pack of which I will no day consume.

Just a question i looked a bit on the dimensions of the new type c connector. would that be a replacement to the firewire port? (so you dont need to cut the plastic surround):roll2:

Just a question i looked a bit on the dimensions of the new type c connector. would that be a replacement to the firewire port? (so you dont need to cut the plastic surround):roll2:

Yes. I think that we will be looking for a filler piece of plastic as the FW port is 12+mm wide and the USB 3.1 c is apx. 8.34mm. A good problem to have as there are several solutions that come to mind that would be very cost effective to implement as soon as the connectors become available.

Good modding,
neil

Count me among the interested. I'm fine with dual USB 3, but I can see the aesthetic appeal of keeping firewire. But, since I have exactly zero firewire devices anymore.....

I'd be in for one as well... Is this still an active project?

Also, I have a quick question to whomever is interested... would you be willing to cut or desolder the wires off the original power button in order to solder them onto the board? I cant seem to find the connectors that go on the pcb side of the board anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back