Contribute
Register

G5 titan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z77 Pro4-M > Need make and full model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
GTX TITAN
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

My name is djulink, and I'm a MacMod-aholic...

My addiction began in early september, when I first noticed aquamac productions based on PowerMac G5 and MacPro cases.
Then, I found tonymacx86.com and all the infos the site provides.
The rest is classical addiction process...
I achieved the mod at the end of that month, but am still in recovery I think... given the fact that I did not stop modding since september...

It's a PowerMac G5 late 2004 (I suppose),
I'm using Black CH Front panel kit (he does it for europeans btw), thanks to insanelymac.

Using the following hardware :

- AsRock Z77 Pro 4-M
- Corsair Dominator Platimun 1600 (16GB : 8x2)
- Intel I7 3770
- GTX TITAN (Zotac)
- OCZ Agility 3 (120 GB)
- WD Caviar Green 15-EARS (1,5TB x 2)
- LG BR Combo reader/writer
- LEPA G750-MAS
- Bluetooth dongle
- D-link DWA-127 Wireless N150
- Scythe Mugen 2 revB (CPU Cooler)
- Noctua PC NF-P14 FLX 140 mm (PSU Cooler)

I went through an easy-way, using dremel to cut out the rear panel, just enough to get to the different plugs and stick the motherboard with the original G5 stand off (very well described by chaosdesigns, btw).

Here's few shots (sorry about the poor quality) :

IMG_0016.jpg IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg IMG_0047.jpg IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg IMG_0057.jpg IMG_0060.jpg

(txs to ersterhernd, and his second mod ; it gave me the idea on how to be able to use the cover glass) :

IMG_0061.jpg IMG_0073.jpg

GeekBench.jpg

Still with Win7 a the moment, I'm not using the PC to work (got a MBA for that, :)) but for gaming and HTPC stuff.

Thanks for watching,

txs guys,

Yep, I'm waiting to see as it goes ; at the moment, the GPU didn't reach the 80°C limit, and so the rig is still very quiet
(and I like it that way ;-)

My question would be : is there a way, if I get MoutainLion installed, to enable it under OS X (maybe injecting a pre-made kext ?) ?

I really like the way you've left the rear of the case intact by using the CPU cooler as an exhaust fan. Mounting a front 120 or even a 140mm PWM fan (so you could throttle it) would be practically silent, and give your system some fresh air to breath. 500 rpm would be lots.

Can't help you with the graphics kext, I run Radeons here.

Very nicely done! :thumbup:

Hello djulink,

Please let me know if you find any solution with getting mountain lion 10.8.3 to work with your gtx titan.
I've searched everywhere and will give you an update as well when I find a solution.

Hello djulink,

Please let me know if you find any solution with getting mountain lion 10.8.3 to work with your gtx titan.
I've searched everywhere and will give you an update as well when I find a solution.

I will,
... games testing at the moment :)

I really like the way you've left the rear of the case intact by using the CPU cooler as an exhaust fan. Mounting a front 120 or even a 140mm PWM fan (so you could throttle it) would be practically silent, and give your system some fresh air to breath. 500 rpm would be lots.

Can't help you with the graphics kext, I run Radeons here.

Very nicely done! :thumbup:

Txs,
I'll be thinking about front fan in the future

Right on...
I found a programmer on another forum that is willing to skype and show me how to get the titan running on osx.
I'll post the results by 2morro night.
BTW here's a good site that will let you know what settings you can max your titan @ on the most demanding games: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/02/21/nvidia_geforce_gtx_titan_video_card_review/2

TTY 2morro

Very nice article you brought : I did install Precision X 4.0.0 (with TITAN provided skin) to play with the card,
but at the moment with a 40'' LED monitor and 1080p resolution, every game is maxed out ... so I'll stick with the stock settings for now.

About the first point, I'm eagerly waiting for your answer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back