RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
PSU Help

EDIT: Turns out my original PSU will not work, period. Editing post to reflect that.

Hello all! I've been looking around at PSUs, looking to find one that will fit inside the original G5 Tesla converter enclosure. I bought a Corsair RM750, and in a very expensive experiment found out that it will not fit since the modular connector daughter board can not be moved to fit the case. So - my question is, is there a modular PSU that anyone can recommend that they have used in the original G5 enclosure? I'm looking for a 600-750 watt PSU, if possible.

I also know that this is a common question that is asked a lot, so I could probably find the answer online. If this thread is against the rules, I do apologize! Please close it if needed.

Thanks guys!

Original Post:
Hello all, I am back again with another question. I was starting to modify my G5 PSU, when I realized that the PSU that I bought, a corsair RM 750, seems to be a bit too tall for the G5 PSU shell. The modular cable daughterboard seems to be a bit taller than most of the others. I am very nervous to start cutting the Corsair PSU, so before I do I wanted to ask you all if any of you have run into the same issue and what you did about it. Most of the forum and, people do not have this issue. I am stuck with this PSU so I'm hoping I can make it work without having to buy a new one, but I also do not want to have to cut into the original G5 PSU shell.

Included a few pictures which I hope will show what it is I am talking about. Thank you for any help that you all may be able to give me! I really do appreciate it! Here's hoping to hear from you soon -- stiligFox

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys! I'll be looking at those, they both look like they'd work great! From what I can tell my mistake was trying to use a fully modular PSU -- it looks like a semi modular one is better.

Hello all! So I decided to go with Seasonic. I got a Seasonic G-750 - it modded well and I'm letting it run with an HDD attached to test it. My PSU test shows everything still running in range!

i initially was going to reuse the fans as Neil had suggested in another thread, but the ones I had weren't in good shape at all. I got two Noctua 60mm fans and am testing them running off the 5v connection on the modular board.

I can only feel a faint breeze coming through the back - is this enough air flow do you guys think, at 5v? It's not hot at all atm but granted it's only running a single HDD.

i included a pic - how do you guy think it looks over all, airflow wise and otherwise? Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 368
Nice work. The 5VDC vs 12 VDC on the fans was in my case driven by noise level. The Apple fans just made too much noise at 12VDC. You may find that the Noctua fans do not make much noise at 12VDC.

Also you have your cables exiting the case towards the left side. In the system there is not much space available and it is easier to route the cables through to top of the PSU case.

Good modding,
neil

Nice work. The 5VDC vs 12 VDC on the fans was in my case driven by noise level. The Apple fans just made too much noise at 12VDC. You may find that the Noctua fans do not make much noise at 12VDC.

Also you have your cables exiting the case towards the left side. In the system there is not much space available and it is easier to route the cables through to top of the PSU case.

Good modding,
neil

Thanks Neil! The fans do make a racket at 12v, so reducing the voltage has helped a lot. Have you ever had issues with heat at the 5v level? I've also seen where someone added two fans in the rear of the PSU - I have one of the original fans that does still work, would it be a good idea to stick it in the free space to help exhaust air?

Also I did a test it with the cables coming out from behind - it's tricky getting the PSU in and out of the case, and the cables are very snug, but since they don't generate heat (I don't think?) they work nice and it helps to hide the excess cable ^_^

... Have you ever had issues with heat at the 5v level? I've also seen where someone added two fans in the rear of the PSU - I have one of the original fans that does still work, would it be a good idea to stick it in the free space to help exhaust air?

Also I did a test it with the cables coming out from behind - it's tricky getting the PSU in and out of the case, and the cables are very snug...

I ran my G5 Power Mac hack with the original fans on 5VDC for about two years 24/7 and they and the PSU are still very functional. That system is now off to the side.

I would not bother adding more fans in the PSU. This is also a hot button with me. Most people place too many fans in their systems. I work the other way around where I add fans only if the "torture test" temps are too high for my liking.

As long as you are not mashing the cables you will be good. I always worry about pinched wires and having the insulation fail in the "cold flow" manner. However today the PSUs are designed to fold back (shut off) when shorted which is a good thing.

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back