Graphics
GTX690
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm very fortunate that my work place are chucking out a load of old Macs. I want to Mod one of them into a PC.

I can choose between a G5 case or a Mac Pro. Can any of you please provide advice on which one I should go for and why? I have very little (well, none) experience in modding PCs so perhaps the easier the better - that said - I do like a challenge.

Thanks very much for your advice.

Nathan

GO FOR THE MAC PRO!

I bet you will regret it if you choose the G5. On the pro, you have the possibility to swap in 2 drives in the front. I'd take the pro.

- Mathias

Hi Makrja,

Thanks for your reply. Is the Mac Pro harder to mod? (I think I read it is?)

I haven't had chance to do much research yet, but I shall search around on the forum. The only problem is the HDD bays at the top are missing on the Mac Pro - will this be a major problem? What size mobo can the Mac Pro take?

Sorry for all the questions. If anyone else would like to jump in with their two pennies worth, go right ahead!

Thanks,

Nathan

Hi Makrja,

Thanks for your reply. Is the Mac Pro harder to mod? (I think I read it is?)

I haven't had chance to do much research yet, but I shall search around on the forum. The only problem is the HDD bays at the top are missing on the Mac Pro - will this be a major problem? What size mobo can the Mac Pro take?

Sorry for all the questions. If anyone else would like to jump in with their two pennies worth, go right ahead!

Thanks,

Nathan

NP Mate!

I havent mod'ed neither! But i have modded a G4, and boi it was not easy. I can only imagine that the Pro/G5 will be a ton easier, since there is such space.

I would like to get my hands on a Mac Pro this christmas, so maybe i can follow along your mod! The HDD cage wont be a problem. Depends on whether you won't to go HDD or SSD. The SSD's can be mounted anywhere, since there is no moving parts, but the HDD are more tricky. You could potentially make your own cage? It will be a fun enjoyable challenge!

I think the G5/Mac Pro, can handle standard ATX with some tweaking, but i'd recommend mATX.

Happy modding!

- Mathias

If I would mod a case again, I also would take a Pro case now. Because of the four hard-drives and two optical drives.

imho the G5 is easier and offers more possibilities regarding the placement of the PSU and the size of the mainboard (mATX or ATX).
Also there are places to buy accessories for the G5 Mod like the front panel cable, rear plates etc…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back