Contribute
Register

G5 Optihack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the Power Mac G5 housing with all it's fans as from Apple designed. I've replaced the original fans of G5 with ones from Noctua and they are very silent. So why not use the one in the top shelf as designed? It helps to keep the drives cool.
I need to look into that further. Somewhere in this forum I saw the info on which Noctua model to use for the parts.

You can use a Noctua NF-R8 redux-1800 PWM or any other 80mm fan. As in this thread discussed, I build the Noctua inductors into the original Delta fans. But the Noctua is also available in grey color, which is not disturbs the original look not so much.

You can use a Noctua NF-R8 redux-1800 PWM or any other 80mm fan. As in this thread discussed, I build the Noctua inductors into the original Delta fans. But the Noctua is also available in grey color, which is not disturbs the original look not so much.
Are you using the inductors & board from the NF-R8 or the NF-B9? Or does it matter? I guess I'd be safe buying the R8 as the fan itself would fit if I break the Delta fan on disassembly.

Are you using the inductors & board from the NF-R8 or the NF-B9? Or does it matter? I guess I'd be safe buying the R8 as the fan itself would fit if I break the Delta fan on disassembly.
If you're not using a fan controller and are running the Noctuas off the mobo fan headers, I don't think you'll get PWM control. I haven't used them but a year or so ago someone mentioned this. Just wanted you to be aware that not all fans allow PWM control when using those 5 pin to 4 pin adapters with a 9020 board. The ones that always seem to work are made by Rosewill as strange as that may seem. Maybe the same co. makes case and CPU fans for Dell.

This fan from CM has PWM and you should at least have control with a fan controller app like Macs Fan Control.

Last edited:
Just wanted you to be aware that not all fans allow PWM control when using those 5 pin to 4 pin adapters with a 9020 board. The ones that always seem to work are made by Rosewill as strange as that may seem. Maybe the same co. makes case and CPU fans for Dell.
Good info, thanks @trs96
I just tried Macs Fan Control and it works with my beQuiet 120mm fan that is connected with the 4>5 pin cable that I bought. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0871P9X72/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
It looks like my Noctua NF-P12 fan https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CG2PGY6/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
can be manually controlled with the Macs Fan Control app. Auto control doesn't work. So at the lowest speed it runs at a little over 1210 RPM or it goes to the max speed of about 1800. I usually keep it at the lowest RPM. The results should be similar for the 80mm redux fans. The Noctua P12 fans move a lot more air than lower cost off brand fans that sell for 1/2 the price. They also last a really long time with constant use.

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 9.15.02 AM.png

With the CPU fan at max speed of 4481 one of the 4 cores stays around 23C/73.4F. It's way too noisy spinning that fast so I never leave it there. Good to know that you can cool down quickly if you ever have excess heat issues.

Last edited:
It looks like my Noctua NF-P12 fan https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CG2PGY6/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
can be manually controlled with the Macs Fan Control app. Auto control doesn't work. So at the lowest speed it runs at a little over 1210 RPM or it goes to the max speed of about 1800. I usually keep it at the lowest RPM. The results should be similar for the 80mm redux fans. The Noctua P12 fans move a lot more air than lower cost off brand fans that sell for 1/2 the price. They also last a really long time with constant use.

View attachment 528664

With the CPU fan at max speed of 4481 one of the 4 cores stays around 23C. It's way too noisy spinning that fast so I never leave it there. Good to know that you can cool down quickly if you ever have excess heat issues.

That's great to hear. :thumbup:

I have this exact same fan on my CPU cooler and use the BIOS to control the speeds - which never goes above 600rpm.

I think I need to get another for the case front and try out this app.

I have this exact same fan on my CPU cooler and use the BIOS to control the speeds - which never goes above 600rpm.
If you're doing anything CPU intensive you'd want it spinning at 1000+ to cool the CPU. I'm using my Noctua as an exhaust fan and the stock Dell 80mm fan as my CPU cooler. The Dell stock fan is amazingly quiet at 1100 RPM or slightly more. I can't complain about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back