Contribute
Register

G5 Case Mod — GA H370M D3H GSM — i5-8500 — RX580 Pulse 8GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, we use that word all the time. I'm trying to figure out whether they are serious about this LTT project or if it's nothing more than a sophmoric joke of a video series. Probably the latter. Once the liquid cooling loop starts leaking and destroys the expensive server motherboard we'll all have the last laugh. Especially any Apple employees watching that were involved in the development and production of the real Mac Pro 20119 refresh.

That's really 'Shoddy'!. Back panel is a complete mess, 'Didn't account for the curve at the top', says it all really!. I'm no pro but I'm sure this could be done much, much better!. Front panel... Wow!, there's a cable for that!. In my budget G5 with the 7010 and Fenvi FV-T919 I never had a problem with iMessage or hand off. Never used FaceTime.
In other news, I purchased a 'Seasonic S12III 550 SSR-550GB3 550W 80+ Bronze, ATX12V & EPS12V, Direct Output, Smart & Silent Fan Control, 5 yr Warranty Power Supply'. Thanks to @pastrychef and @trs96 for suggesting a Seasonic PSU. When searching for a PCIeX1 mod on a Dell 7010 SFF, the same PSU was suggested in the same guide.
I got my $ back for the B365M DS3H and that will help in the purchase of the H370M D3H GSM, $125 on Newegg...They've sold out!.

Last edited:
Oo, rr, really messy. Defeats the whole purpose of using a G5!
Hey, finally got my G5 ATX cable today from UK BlackCH Mods. Cheaper than the US version, yaaaa.
Onwards and upwards, hopefully...

Attachments

• G5 ATX Cable.jpg
    G5 ATX Cable.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 96
My Seasonic S12111 80 plus Bronze PSU arrived yesterday, it's not as wide as I anticipated. The 1/2 inch extra gap will let me get my fingers to the on/off switch though. The PSU does sit on a foam mat to keep it level and stop it moving. All the extra cables are hidden inside the enclosure except for the two power cables. Not planning on using SATA for this build, I have two NVMe slots on the board and two HP EX900 NVMe, hoping I can dual boot from those. The PSU is sitting on top of a heavy pile of books and not working H370M D3H motherboard and standoffs, which are being freshly fixed to the case. Said replacement motherboard is arriving today or tomorrow. Interested to read @trs96 new thread '$562 Budget MicroATX Gaming build'. My case was free so its not a fair comparison to his build but well recommended if thats what were planning.

18072067-AD95-4716-AD34-3D7595A65B23.jpeg

Good news. Have my PS set about the same as yours. Wanting to use the existing, optical drive and 1TB existing drive that I have. I am such a purist. See how that goes.
Going to mount the PS on industrial velcro. I am using the power cable female plug on back. Yet to get my ram 32mg
and 1TB ssd. Then I will be good to go...

Attachments

• Internals1.jpg
    Internals1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 112
That's really 'Shoddy'!. Back panel is a complete mess, 'Didn't account for the curve at the top', says it all really!
If you haven't seen this thread yet https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...nts-applemacidiots-g5-mod.127363/#post-779583 take a look. The people at LTT could learn a lot about how to mod a G5 case the best way so that it actually looks better than before. Their shoddy modding is really a disgrace to the G5 and MP modding community. Millions of viewers and they show them their sloppy and haphazard approach to a hackintosh case mod project.

Have a look at this back panel. A work of art really. Needs a better I/O shield to finish the job though.

1582384173336.png

If you haven't seen this thread yet https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...nts-applemacidiots-g5-mod.127363/#post-779583 take a look.

Have a look at this back panel. A work of art really. Needs a better I/O shield to finish the job though.

I agree @AppleMacIdiot G5 is really well done, a lot of care and hard work put into the rear especially. I love the apple detail in the rear fan guard, nicely done. There are far better examples of G5 mods than the trash those guys put out. Then again they have sponsors that will happily fork out cash just for the exposure they get in return. But if I had months to plan and build a powerful computer that could compete with the new powermac, and sponsors throwing cash at me. I'd be sure to do a good job and not embarrass myself with a half baked solution.

Talking of rear G5’s @ivorn I’m concerned about your rear fans, what happened to the rear fan guard?. What does the middle shelf rest on to stop it falling down?. Is there a reason you haven't used the rear fan guard?. I remember mentioning that I had an issue with the rear guard, but I solved it by accidentally breaking off one the locking tabs and what do you know!, no more pressure applied to motherboard and it fits!.

Last edited:
New H370M D3H GSM motherboard arrived today, very excited to get this up and running. Unfortunately the brand new PSU seems dead on arrival. I’ll get it replaced and hopefully get a working Hackintosh next week.

Last edited:
That’s 2-0 to the $17 320W Dell PSU. Has now proven more reliable than a Corsair 750W $89 and Seasonic 550W $55. About to make BIOS changes.

983D595E-B11E-4D74-A800-EF65D5FEBF35.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s 2-0 to the $17 320W Dell PSU. Has now proven more reliable
Dude, you're keepin' your Dell !

Unknown.jpg

Remember this guy from back in the late 1990s ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back