Contribute
Register

G5 Case Mod — GA H370M D3H GSM — i5-8500 — RX580 Pulse 8GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy New Year!. Not yet I'm still holding out for a processor.

I'm still holding out for a processor.
That's the difference between going with older chipsets like Z77/87 and going with a recent one. You pay a lot of money for the CPU. Usually between 200-300 dollars. That's mostly due to Intel not having any real competition until the last year or so.

You're right sir, looking at prices for a i5 8400/8500 on ebay and other places. New they're around $200, sometimes they can be found cheaper but that's usually from a seller with low scores. I'm in no rush to get the new CPU, I'm happy with the i7 3770 and the Dell 7010 motherboard. It's been pretty stable and reliable so far, I have all the other pieces of the new build ready, just hoping the price will drop over the next month or so.

Happy NY. Have started, stripped out case and looking a fitting MB & GPU. I
That's the difference between going with older chipsets like Z77/87 and going with a recent one. You pay a lot of money for the CPU. Usually between 200-300 dollars. That's mostly due to Intel not having any real competition until the last year or so.
K, Show you my stuff. Just about to mount the MB & GPU on the standoffs. Anything I should be aware of before I do?
I also bought an Core i5-9400F, and have an 800watt power supply. Going to get a G5 front panel I/O cable. Isn't that what you got? BTW can't remember if you are using your optical drive? I'd like to use mine.

Attachments

• MB&GPU setting up.jpg
    MB&GPU setting up.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 113
When you fix the standoffs to the case make sure the area they're being fixed to is rough to give the cement better grip. Also allow 24 hrs for full curing of the cement, don't move or touch it for a full 24 hrs after gluing. Which epoxy cement are you using btw?. Do you know what BIOS your board has?, you bought a CPU which requires F12 BIOS to work, are you certain that you have F12 BIOS installed on your motherboard?. Yes I bought the front IO cable from BCH mods took a while to arrive but definitely worth it. I'm not using the optical drive, I pulled it out.

When you fix the standoffs to the case make sure the area they're being fixed to is rough to give the cement better grip. Also allow 24 hrs for full curing of the cement, don't move or touch it for a full 24 hrs after gluing. Which epoxy cement are you using btw?. Do you know what BIOS your board has?, you bought a CPU which requires F12 BIOS to work, are you certain that you have F12 BIOS installed on your motherboard?. Yes I bought the front IO cable from BCH mods took a while to arrive but definitely worth it. I'm not using the optical drive, I pulled it out.
You are spot on. Just checked with my supplier and they have to do a bios upgrade to get it to work. So I will take it to them toady. Thanks for that. I'm using Araldite. So much to learn...

Watching prices come down for the i5 8400/8500 this week on eBay, getting close to the $150 budget I set myself. Another trigger was a drop of 1% on Newegg, so I think a CPU will be purchased in the next 2 weeks.
The G5 case now sits empty after removing the budget hardware, Rx 560, 12GB ram, i7 3770 and two Samsung SSD to my hp6300. I repositioned two standoffs to fit the H370M D3H motherboard, yellow circles. With the motherboard installed I noticed that the rear fan guard was difficult to fit into it's slot, white square, it usually slots in easily!.

Repos.jpg

Then I realized that it's sitting onto the audio connections, which is quite tall by a good 2mm.
2018030515312629_src[1].png

I think my answer will be to sand down 2mm of the fan guard, essentially making it thinner to fit the audio slots.

RearFanGuard.jpg

Yes, just realising that you constantly have to make decisions on the fly. I am mapping out my internals now. Fitting power supply etc. Mounted the MD after updating the bios. Now I am thinking I would like to use the exisiting G5 fans and have joined the rhs fans with a bracket so I can fit them. I'm also thinking about cutting out the rear panel as it will access so much easier to access. Talk me out of this one... BTW, purchased my ATX cable from a UK crowd, half the cost of the US, they don't charge for shipping.

Attachments

• Internal layout 2.jpg
    Internal layout 2.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 115
The parts have been gathered, I received the processor last week and can finally start building my G5.

1580139133276.jpeg

Fenvi FV-T919 Dual Band Wireless BT PCIe Card.
I bought this a while ago and had it installed in my HP6300pro MT and Dell 7010 (budget G5). Connects easily and has a really good reception. The BT signal is strong, but I have noticed the 2Gig band, which I rarely use, interferes with the BT signal to my JBL Flip4 speaker.

HP EX900 250GB NVMe
Two of them!. Again I bought these last summer, one was under $30 and the other under $35. At the time of purchase that was cheaper than most SSDs with the same capacity. Realistically I didn’t see the dramatic speed increase the Black Magic Speed Test App implies, at least In the Ivy Bridge Hackintosh’s I’ve had them installed. This build is for designing and creating, that’s where these NVMe will help. And so far they’ve been pretty reliable.

MSI Radeon RX560 Aero ITX 4G OC
Sure there are much better cards!. But I needed one that could fit a HP6300 MT too. And since the AMD 2020 Adrenaline update there’s a noticeable difference in crispness and clarity. Destiny 2 averages 62fps on medium graphics setting and textures high. Dual screen in No Mans Sky and Project Cars is incredible. And moving large images in Affinity graphics and photo Apps is smooth and snappy.

Noctua / Artic / Thermaltake Fans
All very quiet!. The rear guard holds 2 92mm Noctua NF-B9, front guard has the 92mm PWM Arctic fan. And the 80mm PWM Noctua NF-R8 sits at top front, I have to replace this one as I blew the other one up. The CPU fan is a Thermaltake, not pictured, it has a big fat heat diffuser, bigger than the others I seem to have accumulated. Tested in the budget G5 it worked quietly, spinning up occasionally.

Corsair CX750M
I owned this for almost a year now and fits well inside the G5 case. It was reduced by $10 at the time so I picked it up.

T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 8GB 2666
Yes it's RGB, people have mixed feelings about RGB. I chose this because I wanted at least some color reflecting inside, your not looking at it directly.

Gigabyte H370M D3H
I spent a lot of time researching boards before deciding on this one. It ticked all the boxes for me, dual M.2, CNVi WiFi and USB 3.1 Gen 2. I'm still not planning on cutting the rear, so using the right angled USB 3 extension that I purchased for the budget build will most likely be used in this build.

Intel Core i5-8500
I got this last week on eBay, $152 with taxes and postage, $173. That was cheaper than most i5-8400 and the seller had a good score, so I got it.

1580140082616.jpeg

Hey looking good. I have upgrade bios on i5. Going to reuse my fans and have power supply roughed in.
Still waiting for my G5 ATX cable. Decided not to cut a hole in rear. Haven't got wifi card, ram and SSD as yet.

Attachments

• 20200125_152048.jpg
    20200125_152048.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 148
  • Fan1.jpg
    Fan1.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 172
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back