Contribute
Register

G5 Case Mod — GA H370M D3H GSM — i5-8500 — RX580 Pulse 8GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to build something that’s future proof and would last. It also has dual NVMe PCIe Gen3 M.2 slots and fortunately I have 2 HP 250 GB NVMe looking for a home. It's CNVi Wifi upgradeable and when I checked this morning an Adapter costs $15 on Amazon, slightly cheaper on ebay. So I'll also be removing the SATA cables and the power cord for that. I like the Dell 7010 GY6Y8 motherboard because it's reliable, it has a PCIe x4 slot for NVMe, it can fit a full length graphics card like a 580. And when things go wrong it's $13 to replace, I have a backup too.

Ok, makes sense. Thanks so much.

Yaaa, I have ordered my H370M, should get it next week. Let games begin!

It finally arrived!. My G5 Front Panel to ATX adapter, before I attempt to plug it into the 7010 I'll do some reading.
But this has made me think about the new 2019 Mac Pro discussed here. Will I miss stretching my left arm to press the power button on the G5, which is conveniently sitting near the top?. Either way having another USB port is a bonus. And I remember switching it on and seeing the white LED light up, when I first received it. I won't be using Fire Wire and I have a better audio option tbh. It's really well made too, I'm no expert, but to me it looks the business!.

G5IO.png

Looks neat. I have just started to get some of my gear. Power supply on the way. Looking at getting another cheap G5?
Am I mad? Have done my UniBeast boot loader. Apparently I have to add lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext to get my Asus Expedition Radeon RX570 to run. Not sure how that works but will look into it. Hopefully start my G5 pull apart soon.

Attachments

• MB_GPU.jpg
    MB_GPU.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 108
Not mad no!. I’ve also been thinking about my next mod, there were a couple of 2008/09 G5’s on Craigslist in my area recently for $75, within pickup distance too. But I think my next mod will either be a Quicksilver or Cube.

Apparently this one is very scratched, but l could polish it if I got it for the right price..

Apparently I have to add lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext to get my Asus Expedition Radeon RX570 to run. Not sure how that works but will look into it.

Yes you do, it’s not rocket science so you’ll be fine.

Happy NY. Have started, stripped out case and looking a fitting MB & GPU. I

Attachments

• CPU_GPU_MB.jpg
    CPU_GPU_MB.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 184
  • MB&GPU setting up.jpg
    MB&GPU setting up.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 178
Hey, have you tested your Gigabyte Motherboard yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back