Contribute
Register

G5 'No Rear Cut'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[SUMMARY]

Really happy with my first Hackintosh build using the dell 7010 motherboard with Q77 chipset. I have been a big fan of the Apple PowerMac G5 case since I first used one at art college. It impressed me then with its build quality and design. Since discovering Hackintosh over a year ago I started enjoying the 'build' aspect. And when the two free G5 case came up, I made the decision to build my Hackintosh Mod. Thanks to the resources I have read and the help I have received on this site, I have a machine I’m really pleased with. Starting off with a $300 budget and reading the guides I listed at the beginning of this thread. And along the way I discovered that - despite HP and Dell support forums saying otherwise - you can in-fact boot Mojave from an NVMe drive by using clover installed on a SATA drive. It’s a good option if you have either the X4 or X16 slot free. I recommend the HP EX900, it's built by Hitachi, it's more reliable than the EX920 and it hasn't let me down.

After reading trs96 guide for the Dell Optiplex 7010/9010 Rv2 and Petri Chrons super cheap fusion drive on a Q77 board thread I got a Dell 7010 MT motherboard for around $20, You can now get them for $13, on eBay. It has a PCIe X4 if you want to install an NVMe drive. But most importantly it fits in the G5 and lines up with all the PCI slots perfectly. In the photo below I set up the HP NVMe drive in the X16 slot and the Fenvi in the PCIe X1 slot. The 500 GB WD HDD has the EFI folder and Clover installed. And that allows you to boot Mojave from the NVMe. I also bought a Dell 7010 SFF 240W PSU from eBay for testing.

\
For storage I have 2 X Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB installed. I have owned these for almost three years now and have used them in various Apple Desktops and Laptops, very reliable. I can dual boot between Windows10pro and Mojave from Clover. As an alternative you could add an NVMe M.2 SSD using an adapter in either the X16 or X4 slot, if you have either of those available. I have written more about my experience with an HP EX900 and EX920 over in the Deals of the Day thread.
Temperatures good!.

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 8.07.00 PM.png

Here are some Geekbench scores to compare Mojave and Windows10pro on the same hardware.

Dell7010.png

That's a surprise!, then why not compare those Benchmarks with the new 2018 Mac Mini below. trs96 wrote a good post in his Dell 7010/9010 guide, comparing the price of 2018 Mac Mini and a Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF with an i7-3770, 8GB, 250GB, and 120GB NVMe and a Quadro K600 Graphics card. I won't spoil that one!, go read!.
MacMiniBM.png

Attachments

• IMG_1058.jpg
    IMG_1058.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 756
  • IMG_1061.jpeg
    IMG_1061.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 650
Last edited:
Hey!

I really love the appearance of the mac g5. Therefore I want to use a mac g5 case to house a more modern computer with ok specs. I have already watched and read many tutorials about housing a pc in a mac g5 but your tutorial and post was the only one that did not require to cut the beautiful case. For that reason I would be really glad if you could give me some tips on how to convert an old mac g5 case to a modern computer. This will be the first computer that I will ever build however I am not that inexpercied since I am quite handy and I am a total tech-geek. Which advice would you give me on this project? I am on budget so it will not be too expensive though, but my main use with this new computer would be to play some games. Could you please help me?

@APplEiSBEst, no problem. Do you have a G5 case already?.

Not yet. What do you think I should do?
Depending on where your located. Look on eBay for a PowerMac G5 case. Expect to pay around the $50 mark!, edit: $100!. I started with 2 PowerMac G5’s and stripped them both out. I sold one and kept the other for my build. If you buy just the case check that it has the side panels and shelf’s intact. I kept the top shelf in mine so that the side panels can close easily. Look for a mATX board to sit inside this will fit the case easily.

Last edited:
This seller from Texas has decent cases at a low price. Includes shipping. So if you're in the USA have a look.

This seller from Texas has decent cases at a low price. Includes shipping. So if you're in the USA have a look.

Thanks @trs96. Just checked eBay and noticed some cases going for around $100!.
@APplEiSBEst also!, if your wanting to stick to a budget, I highly recommend the Dell SFF 7010 / 9010 motherboard, currently you can get one of those for $12.99 on eBay, the board is a perfect fit for the G5 case and has served me well. See this post from trs96 yesterday.

Last edited:
Thanks @trs96. Just checked eBay and noticed some cases going for around $100!.
@APplEiSBEst also!, if your wanting to stick to a budget, I highly recommend the Dell SFF 7010 / 9010 motherboard, currently you can get one of those for $12.99 on eBay, the board is a perfect fit for the G5 case and has served me well. See this post from trs96 yesterday.
Since I live in Sweden it is a bit hard to find a case. The ones that are located in England would cost around 110 dollars (included shipping) and the bad thing is that they are not in a good condition. Therefore I will wait on some better deals. Eventually I perhaps will buy a case from Blocket (the swedish verision of ebay) or I will get help from my dad to find a case. My dad works at the local university and if I am lucky he maybe can find some old mac g5 that do not work and that would otherwise be thrown away. Meanwhile I will probably buy the Dell SFF 9010 in one or three days from now. @trs96 post was good. I am still a bit unsure which motherboard I will buy but I will try to figure it out. With both the DFF 7010 and the 9010 I do not know how long they will be up to date.

Anyways thanks to both of you that did answer. I really appreciated it.

Good work for a budget. Keep trying

@Xagdas How's the Hackintosh experience with your 1080?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back