2. Centris
  3. LC
  4. Plus
  5. Power Mac
  6. PowerBook
  7. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My son decided to try his hand at a G5 mod. He first followed my (http://www.tonymacx86.com/case-mods/81930-simple-g5-case-mod.html) and then decided to repurpose the old liquid cooler that he had harvested from the old G5. Here are some photos of his efforts.

Here is what the initial mod looked like with the stock cooler in place.
1-originalstockcooler.jpg

Starting to build the liquid cooling system
2-ontheworkbench.jpg

3-theRadFans.jpg

4-thecoolingsubsystem.jpg

5-coolingsubsystem2.jpg

Assembled into the G5
6-assembledintheG5.jpg

Here are the startup temps.
7-startuptemps.jpg

Here are the Heavy load temps.
8-heavyloadtemps.jpg

Dust cover installed.
9-completewithdustcover.jpg

The "workstation".
10-workstation.jpg

Happy Modding!
chaos

Last edited:
Cool.

I'm doing exactly the same on my Mini-ITX system.:thumbup:

Edit: Not quite the same....I decided to use a modern CPU block as I had no faith in the G5 one.

Hi Minihack,

My son filed down the CPU side of the G5 water block until it was smooth and contacted the entire CPU top surface. He then made his own retaining bracket out of aluminum that held the G5 water block to the top of the i5 CPU. He couldn't afford a modern one. How much was the one you used?

chaos

Somehow... I don't think those temps are correct... I know it is cold up here in the pacific northwest but you should have an ambient of about 22*C or so (assuming you keep your house at about ~70-71*F. Your temps are off I think :/

Pretty cool though!

Jeffinslaw

Hi Chaos,
I used a Zalman one for £30. I did look at smoothing off the original G5 one, but internally the water flow looked to be very restricted - I wasn't confident that it'd do the job. Also in smoothing out I got rid of a lot of copper and I thought the loss of that amount would affect the heat transfer qualities too much.
I see your son stuck with the no reservoir method - was it difficult getting the air out? I put a small pump top reservoir on mine, but of course that adds to the costs too, whereas your lad will have spent only money on the tubing. I've got a second one of these coolers waiting to be re-purposed, so maybe I'll try the the 100% G5 way next time....

Photobucket decided that hosting my images was costing them too much money and so asked me to upgrade my free account to one that would cost $400 per year. I decided to remove my 250 or so photos from Photobucket and host them myself. So... photos have been restored! :)

- chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back