Contribute
Register

G5 - How do I remove the metalplate seperating HDD/DVD-part

Status
Not open for further replies.
My plan is to butch the old PSU and use the same casing for the new PSU however the PSU fan (which is a 120mm fan) won't fit so I'll probably use the ones already mounted on the G5 psu, the PSU is a 550W Corsair. So my question is should I run those fans on 12v or is 7 or 5v enough, I want computer which is somewhat quiet. Also the two stock fans in the back, are they any good or should I ditch them for better fans?

You can use the two small ones in the case, I would test them to see how loud they are at 12v. I know a lot of modders reuse all the fans but drop the voltage to 7 because at 12 they are very noisy.
I used the 120mm PSU fan and cut the top and placed it there. I did that because I hid all the extra wiring in the cavity inside the PSU and those little fans would have to have blown air past all those cables. So now with the fan mounted on top there is no airflow obstruction.

eelhead said:
You can use the two small ones in the case, I would test them to see how loud they are at 12v. I know a lot of modders reuse all the fans but drop the voltage to 7 because at 12 they are very noisy.
I used the 120mm PSU fan and cut the top and placed it there. I did that because I hid all the extra wiring in the cavity inside the PSU and those little fans would have to have blown air past all those cables. So now with the fan mounted on top there is no airflow obstruction.
See how that could be problem but I will probably cut the cables so I won't have much spare cable so cables blocking airflow will most likely not be a problem for me, I'm considering replacing all the sleeving as well with white and blue sleeving, I've seen some people doing this and it looks sexy.

A new question, is it possible to reuse the "Apple Superdrive" DVD-Burner currently in the G5 or will I have to replace it?

NurkJon said:
A new question, is it possible to reuse the "Apple Superdrive" DVD-Burner currently in the G5 or will I have to replace it?
You'll have to replace it. The sony one is cheap though, with out looking it up I thinks $19.00

eelhead said:
NurkJon said:
You'll have to replace it. The sony one is cheap though, with out looking it up I thinks $19.00
They're a bit more expensive in Sweden however it's not a lot of money, still I'm considering ditching the DVD as I never use it, I've had my MacBook Pro without an DVD-unit for almost a year now without problems. So yeah I'll see what I'll do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back