1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
POWER-G5web.jpg
Components

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Motherboard

Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K

Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz PC3 240 Pin DIMM Memory

XFX AMD Radeon HD 6870 1gb Video Card

TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Wireless N900 Dual Band PCI Express Adapter, 2.4GHz 450Mbps/5Ghz 450Mbps, IEEE

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CWCH60) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

COOLER MASTER R4-S2S-124K-GP 120mm Case Fan 4 in 1 pack

OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

(x2) Segate 5400RPM 250GB Harddrive

G5 Power Mac Case

JourneyBegins

This is my very first hackintosh I've ever built, inspired by a video I came across on youtube in October from CPUKIDD while looking up a budget Apple Mac mini (that was my budget). Shortly after that I came across the understanding of this website and here was what really spark/drive me into doing more research and making myself one. Seeing the Golden/User build thread intrigued me with creativity and here it begins...

IMG_2776_zpsb7da27ae.jpg

Bought the g5 Case at a local computer shop for about 75$ with minor deep scratches but still it wasnt perfect. Decided to prime and paint the case instead.
IMG_2791_zpsb7d5fd3f.jpg

It took me quite a while to find a paint color closely resemble the original Paint of the g5 and I think this was the closes I could get
IMG_2807_zps357f83f2.jpg

Results of the color was more than satisfying. (The apple logo later ended up getting painted over because of the rough edges.)
IMG_2867_zps463d2ec4.jpg

Getting Dirty.
IMG_2870_zpse8a30df2.jpg

End result of the terrifying part :crazy:
IMG_2877_zpsf2654fee.jpg

Decided to place my Powersupply in the orginal G5 Power suppler chasis for a better appealing look. (this idea was also from another member on here)
IMG_2879_zpsf4996462.jpg

Primed the interior and painted it.
IMG_2890_zpsed8633ec.jpg

Figuring out how to Power the Powersupply within the G5 Power supply chasis so that it looks Orginal.
IMG_2880_zpsdc4cebf7.jpg

The final results...Perfecto! :)
IMG_2887_zps12bfcd95.jpg

Back to the Case after the paint dried. I got the Back plate from Mountain Mods. (Its Mountain..{something})
IMG_2916_zps272db5b2.jpg

Fitting everything in to make sure its perfect before making everything permanent.
IMG_2896_zps9f02736a.jpg

Everything works. Beware those who follow this build, I only had about 1/8 of an inch of room before my MOBO hits the powersupply....Tight fit.
IMG_2920_zpsaf7eb924.jpg

Rivet the Back Plate to the chasis.
IMG_2924_zps018049a3.jpg

The results (above)
IMG_2918_zps465323c8.jpg

I saw a few folks on here using JB weld to attach the Mobo plate to the G5 Case housing. I tried doing that but when I riveted the Back plate it pulled the mobo tray towards the Back of the case breaking the bond. My final solution was to Aluminum Weld the the (aluminum)Mobo Tray to the (aluminum) G5 case. It took awhile to heat up the two with a regular blow torch but it got the job down. Above was where I welded it, That was my only welding point.
IMG_2925_zpsb71bc8b0.jpg

Results, Everything held up just fine. Oh and I painted the powersupply to make everything look more Factory.
IMG_2930_zps5c2cde9b.jpg

Cpu cooler :)
IMG_2977_zps468738df.jpg

Before wire management. I need to rigged up a power switch to see if it works. ( wiring diagram for the g5 power switch can be search on Google image)
IMG_3055_zps8d753aec.jpg

Extended my power switch cable and did some wire management.
IMG_3086_zps9c5b36b9.jpg

That aluminum Plate Serve as a means to block the Red Power light comming from the Mobo. It was annoying to look at on the outside of the G5 case.
IMG_3253_zps1f9be62b.jpg

Than decided to add Some Fans because the graphics card was burning up ( at this point i installed windows 8 to see if all parts were running)
IMG_3255_zpsa9650b8a.jpg
IMG_3254_zps025dbfac.jpg

here's another one directly above.
securedownload_zpse5f45545.jpg

Final Results of the inside. ( bad shot from the iphone) On Windows 8 i was able to overclock this bad boy to 4.53ghz

INSTALLATION OF Mountain Lion.

The installation of Snow leopard alone took me 4 days to figure out. TIP: If you're trying to install this on one hard drive with 2 or more partition...I highly recommend you not to do this. Just more hassle, I lost all my Windows files doing this and spent an entire day trying to recover those files. After i recovered my files I used my extra HDD laying around, Installation of Snow leopard went a lot smoother. TIP: During the point that you're still running Snow Leopard Always use the IVY boot. Regular boot without the boot disc will not let you get past the Apple logo white screen. Use the IVY Boot and boot -V. This let me boot into Snow leopard 100% of the time. Snow leopard was compatiable with all Hardware on the list above. I know a lot of folks on here uses Nvidia graphics card but AMD (fanboy) 6870 (apple OS only suppport up to 6870 on AMD) was working without any extra KEXTS (drivers) installed. After your done installing Leopard, Update to 10.6.8 to get the app store and download ML.
IMG_3284_zpsea4d9858.jpg

Don't attempt to Click on Mountain Lion and install it like I did. I waited...and waited...nothing happens lol (below) DOWNLOAD UNIBEAST!
IMG_3287_zps41284213.jpg

With UniBeast an 8Gb or more USB flash drive is needed. Once the flash drive is complete. Restart and boot from the flash drive. Tip: If you get a white screen or a white screen with apple logo. Disconnect your AMD Graphics card from the PSU(or Nividia card if you have it and experience the White screen) and use your onboard Gigabyte video output. This will allow the computer to get past that white screen and straight to the installation. Once installation is complete Install MultiBeast (I used settings from <a href="http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-builds/70530-slugnets-video-editor-ga-z77x-ud5h-i7-3770k-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-660-ti.html">Slugnet</a>
IMG_3285_zps63e9e9c1.jpg
Finished :)
IMG_3293_zpsd2c628d7.jpg
Oh yea!

Total Costs: less than 1400$

Good Job!
I was changing my system to an UD5H and 3770K yesterday but had very high temps all the time.
I had to reinstall the CPU cooler with new heatsink paste and attached it in a better way. But the real problem was the UD5H Bios… it set the vcore above 1,4V and that created a lot of heat.

Got it now running at 4,3GHz stable in Windows 8 and am trying to play back my old 10.8 System.

Thanks guys. This was def no easy project but def worth the effort and time (3months to finished) of course there will be some tweak here and there on the inside of the case from tome to time and i will keep you guys up todate. If you guys got any advice pn making this a cleaner look, let me kno. Thanks

Back with some new mod updates with the g5. Here's some background to why I put some effort into this. Originally I designed this cover for wire management purposes,but heat was the issue after about 5 hours of computer use I found out that the Amd GPU i had was heating up too much with the lack of fans. I originally only had one fan and that was the exhaust cpu h60. No intake fan was present. So, back to the Wire management aluminum cover. I decided to drill a 100mm hole to fit a 120mm intake fan in front of it. This was more than enough to fix the heat issue but I figure I can do better.(as you can see in my original pose) Going forward, I added another 120mm fan in front of my pre-existence 120mm but closer to the front of the g5 Grill for colder air. This serves two purpose, Instead of increasing the fan speed from my original 120mm to work hard to pull air in, I can bring it down to about 32% fan speed and have the new fan help pull in air. This will reduce fan nose. The second purpose is to fill in the empty space under the HDD cage.
photo_zps62998e6c.jpg

I bought four 1/4 5 inch hex bolt for 1.99$ cheapest amount cashing out at home depot ever lol. I took a 1/4 drill bit to enlarge the holes in the fan and drill right through the original fan into the alluminum plate and than later insert the bolt to support the second fan as you can see above.
photo1_zps2ab3dac6.jpg

After the installation I painted the new fan with a Nickel Satan paint, found in Walmart for about 4$ and the results was more than eye pleasing.

Terrific Job!

I really like the way you've put this one together. Excellent work.

Regards...

Terrific Job!

I really like the way you've put this one together. Excellent work.

Regards...
Thanks bro, i just daw your g5 build thread and my i love the double hdd cage layout and the ur one of the few lucky ones who can reuse the g5 cover. But i have to thank you for inspiring on me on my next mini project, that cover you got with the apple logo on the top bay. I can def use that in my case

Update on my G5 setup. :) very happy with these monitors from HP. Very crisp, Comparable to MACBOOK Screens. Rather than coughing up 1k for an Apple MOnitor. I got 2 23" HP Screens that has a Silver finish that goes with the Apple Theme. -Dualboot WIndows 8 and Mountion Lion

OCT 2013 REVISION

So after a few months out of boredom i want a change in my Power Mac, decided to hide the expose power supply in my Case and...well things didn't turn out to well. So heres my story and how it turned out.

Before I hack at it again, heres the original set up.

First thing i did was Painted in black, the idea came to me from a current build i made for a friend and i thought how clean her layout is with a black interior, So i decided to paint my g5 once again and boy was she a beauty!

Goal was to hide the PSU for a complete MAC LOOK! The look gave me every satisfaction until I tried turning it on. FAILED!!!! PSU didnt work...All I did was cut the housing of my Corsair and place it into the MAC PSU, No wires were touched or moved. I was told one of the Rails could've been bad. After a few hours trying to diagnosis it I got shocked. After that I threw the whole thing out and went to BestBuy to grab a quick Thermaltake 600Watt. :thumbdown:

So i ended up with this, Wasnt IDEAL but It gave me a lot more room to work with and wire managment was alot better, the Thermaltake PSU didnt have sleeves and wires were supposedly 20% longer (gave me the length i need to go under the mobo tray) Final Results...Pretty happy with it.

The Key ingredient: The trusty 3M DOUBLESIDED TAPE, lol taped down the PSU (rock solid) and the g5 cover to the back-to-back 120mm fan. Tell me how yah like it to my Original set up. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back