Contribute
Register

G5 Front Panel Quick Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I don't know this cable (did my own) but if you are not using Firewire you have to use ground from FW as Power Ground to make power buttom work. Think purpose of the one of spare cable is to use as "jumper" from FW Header to PWR BTM Header.
I believe Second one will be "jumper" for audio sense (you might not need it while your MoBo is able to disable audio sense and manually choose output).

Aren't those things are described in manual you receive with cable?

Bought it from Czech online store shipping within Czech Rep. only, so I think will be useless to you.
https://www.svetsoucastek.cz/konektory-signalni-c9552/?currency=eur

Anyhow, try to buy some box with sockets and connectors, wires on aliexpress or ebay.

Or just search for some local electronic store…

Generally I do not saw dupont connectors where 24AWG wire do not fit.

BTW what kind of crimping tool r u using? There could be an issue as well….

Thanks. Using pre-crimped and splicing.

View attachment 39154
Hi all, working on my old G5 and trying to figure out the front panel wiring. Seems that this thread is THE solution. Unfortunately the pictures are not visible.

Anyone having a copy on the pics on this?

Many thanks in advance
Renaud

So if your in this for the win then the best mod you can do for the case is the power button/front IO wiring.

I know I know, "But eel there are people who make these and I hate snakes!"

Well put those fears aside as this really isn't that hard to do. You need tome supplies and what not and at least some basic wire skills is all. I mean shoot I made the darn thing from scratch and I never done anything like this before.

OK well first off you need to keep or obtain this wire

IMG_5359.jpg

Because that wire can be used to make this wire.

IMG_4852.jpg

See what I mean by saving of getting one of those. You are going to splice them into each other and make one new wire long enough to plug into your ATX board.

Oks so I will lay it out for you.
This is the guide that so many of us have used and I sooo thank the creator of this doc because if it wasn't for this person I'd still be using a screwdriver to turn my system on ;)

PowerMacG5FrontPanel_zps3069ccac.jpg

So you are looking into the plug with the wires coming out of the backside to make this.

ProntPanelCable.jpg

Jumpercableandplugs.jpg

This is meant to say 1-18 on the next pic, there is not 20 wires!! Sorry about that.

Cablesandjumpers.jpg

IMG_5357.jpg

So again, if you take your time and go slow you will get the cables right. The hardest part id keeping take of each cable as you do it, as you can see I used some tape and numbered each one.

One thing to note is that if your not using the Firewire you still need to use the Firewire ground to get the power button and LED to work. If that is the case you can use the Power ground for this but you always need to use the Firewire ground off the front IO for it to work right.

Also if you connect up the Audio there is no switching sense. So if you want to utilize the front headphone jack you have to go into system preferences to activate it and also turn off all other outputs as well. The thing is with the true Apple parts it knew when you plugged a jack into it and it would adjust the Audio options as suited. Because we are using an ATX board and the Apple G5 front IO we lose that switching sense.

Here, my front panel works ok (usb, power button, led), except the audio jack connector.
I'm using the AlohaCab cable.

Attachments

• 22519184_1325587300902930_3819674494102714653_n.jpg
    22519184_1325587300902930_3819674494102714653_n.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 351
Sorry, but I don't look the pictures for looking the good making. can hi help me thanks?

It would be nice if you could fix the front page soon. I'm in desperate need of instructions ;)

It would be nice if you could fix the front page soon. I'm in desperate need of instructions ;)

Have a look on my post on previous page, there is mine working diagram for Power, LED, USB and Audio.

Diagram Post #115

Thanks dokotr. My Power, LED, and USB are working fine (thanks for the trick with the twisted cables for USB!).
However, I can't get Audio working. All I want is audio-OUTput (no mic needed).
So I connected the cables as shown in your diagram. Not working. Is it also necessary to twist those audio cables?

Thanks dokotr. My Power, LED, and USB are working fine (thanks for the trick with the twisted cables for USB!).
However, I can't get Audio working. All I want is audio-OUTput (no mic needed).
So I connected the cables as shown in your diagram. Not working. Is it also necessary to twist those audio cables?

For audio twisting cable isn't necessary. I'm using W10, by defeault audio output is set to autodetection in the system, but this pinout do not support audio autodetection. All I have to do was disable autodetection and manualy set front audio as output. Then audio works for me.

Or might be possible to by pass autodetection with connection of those 2 pins (system will behave as audio output is pluged in no matter you plug in something or not..)

Auto_detection_by_pass.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back