Contribute
Register

G5 Front Panel Quick Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your welcome.

If you cannot find one on ebay try DVwarehouse, they have a poop load of Apple parts.

complete noob here, but if I follow your other guide for wiring the front headers, will each of the then new connectors plug in side by side into the 20 pin port in my Ga-z87-d3hp mobo?

What do you mean?

Every motherboard has USB and Audio headers in one sense or another, also not all motherboards have a Fire Wire so you need to check with your motherboards manufacturers options and user manual.

My Motherboard doesn't have firewire built in or as a front header. Do you or anyone else know of what Firewire PCI cards are compatible?

I found this on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124107

Thanks! :thumbup:

Hi I hope you are still around here... xD
After a couple of hour of seach in the internet because i couldn't make the power button work, I found this diagram that solve the problem, I was confusing the 25vcable o the FW with the GND -.-'.
But this diagram its clear as it gets... But i now encounter another problem, the power LED won't turn off, if the PC it's connected to electricity the led turns ON, but appears to work fine, when i shut down the PC all goes off(the cpu fan, the LED in the motherboard, the PSU, etc, etc...) everything but the power LED, At first i tried W/O connecting the GND or (-) of the led to the (-) of the power button and works the same, then I tried with a bridge between both (-) or GND. Just as the diagram shows but i got the same results.
Please help I have to unplug the pc when i'm not using it.
diagrama.jpg Found here ---> http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g5/43136-no-firewire-port-mobo-g5-front-panel-cable-issue-3.html

I didn't plug the audio and the firewire, and the USB doesn't work I follow this tutorial for this, I don't care to much though. Maybe I made a mistake in this too. Could this be the cause?

Greeeting from Argentina... :D

If I only want to connect the LED and power button, which wires do I have to connect?

If I only want to connect the LED and power button, which wires do I have to connect?

You need 13 or 14 and then a ground, either the FW ground 1 or the USB ground 12. The power button 13 is + and the 14 is LED+ .

Even if you have no Firewire on mobo you can use any ground off the mobo. PW- USB- LED- so on and still utilize port 1 on the case cable.

I connected them both to the FW Ground, 2. It's working now. Thanks.

make me one of these tried to make it but failed:-X

I am about to make my front panel work with a mATX, but I don't need the FireWire and USB ports.

Only things I need working are:
  • Power button
  • Power LED

So do I assume correctly, that I only need to wire pin 2 (FW ground - will be put on my MB's ground), 13 (power btn), 14 (power led)?

AND, I have 1000 dupont cables laying around, with male to female connectors, like this:

dupmf-1.jpg
Can I use those for the cable? By soldering the male ends to the original G5 connector, and plugging the females into the connectors on my motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back