Contribute
Register

G5 Front Panel Quick Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
bugger that , I thought I'd made life easy for the cable.
haven't received the corsair kit yet , out of stock .
I might look at an alternative instead

Might be the best idea....sorry.

Might be the best idea....sorry.

Not your fault , I appreciate the head's up .Haven't turned up anything else in budget so have ordered one anyway .
I'll let you know what I end up with.

Did I read an old thread of your's where you ran an i5 2500K with msi z77ma-g45 ?
If that was you , any advice.I've just built using these and testing in windows
at the moment but performance is patchy.
Looking for something other than '' buy ivy bridge cpu ''

Hi guys,
Just been given a G5 and I am looking to transplant my current PC into it. I understand almost everything I need to do so except I just can't get my head around cabling the front panel.

I saw someone mention the Corsair panel, fortunately here in the UK it is readily available. See here, http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cors...ries-800d-700d-front-panel-usb-30-upgrade-kit

Using that I believe will help me in terms of I will have the front panel---motherboard cable as I can't seem to find them anywhere else!

Would anyone ever consider doing a YouTube tutorial on how to do the cables as I just can't understand the way of doing it?

Thanks

I think they changed the design from when minihack bought one, because I got one and had a really tought time trying to get everything together. I haven't gotten around to just soldering everything together yet.

Hi guys,
Just been given a G5 and I am looking to transplant my current PC into it. I understand almost everything I need to do so except I just can't get my head around cabling the front panel.

I saw someone mention the Corsair panel, fortunately here in the UK it is readily available. See here, http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cors...ries-800d-700d-front-panel-usb-30-upgrade-kit

Using that I believe will help me in terms of I will have the front panel---motherboard cable as I can't seem to find them anywhere else!

Would anyone ever consider doing a YouTube tutorial on how to do the cables as I just can't understand the way of doing it?

Thanks

just want to confirm the front panel wiring -
when looking at the g5 front panel pcb is pin 1 the top left , pin 2 the top right and so on ? ( based on ellheads g5 connector diagram. )

i'll be wiring up an msi z77ma-g45 so no firewire onboard.

will wire up a firewire tail for future upgrades but where best to run a jumper ground to on that board ? or do I still have to ?

scratch last comment , sorted it.
note , just picked up a corsair upgrade kit in Europe and firewire was still part or the multigrid block so only usb to resolve.

thanks for a great guide and pulling together these documents. Very helpful. I put together my G5 in 2008 and had to mod my cable with a multimeter and wild guesswork.

Never really got beyond power switch and LED, as the front connectors weren't a major concern at the time, but recently revisited it and decided to make a new clean cable. this guide made things much clearer. However:

1. I decided to avoid soldering cable to cable, and instead gently pried pins from the G5 connector, removed the wires to give me bare pins, then recrimped and soldered new wires to the pins. added header pins at the other end, so that I had clean one piece cables end-to-end. pushed back into the connector, it leaves a perfect looking cable.

However, when hooked up, power and led still work but firewire and usb (EDIT: USB now working fine. May have been bad test) do not. Checked and double checked cable pin to pin and used diagrams for pin outs, and still nothing. Could my choice of wire be an issue? I've read that firewire is picky on cable impedance, but sounds like you guys have had success with simple header wires and soldering so why no joy for me?

2. As a test I went back to my old (spliced) cable, and tried wiring in some front panel cables I had. Still no joy on firewire. Which makes me think either the cable is an issue, or i'm missing something in my wiring...

Anyway, thanks for the guide and if anyone can think of a way of diagnosing my issues, let me know

I would check the wire just to cover yourself there but also the grounding.
Most of the time bad grounding can be an issue with Firewire

Ah - think i've tracked down the issue. decided to test continuity again from cable end to cable end - OK. Then tried from the front panel FW socket itself to the mobo end of the cable. Only ground, shield A+/- and +12 are continuous. No signal at the FP PCB for B+/-. Took out the PCB and inspected it and a component is missing/blown - L212 - which leads to pin 7 and 8 on the connector - FW B+/-

Guessing L212 is a choke to block interference? Each twisted FW pair has one...

So looks like i'm in the market for a replacement front panel :cry:

thanks for the docs and at least it's not my cable (as far as i know!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back