Contribute
Register

G5 Front Panel Quick Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I put my cables together, I purchased one of these kits which came with all the motherboard header connectors one could ask for. All I did was splice the G5 front panel connector to the appropriate cables in the kit.
View attachment 35815View attachment 35816View attachment 35817

http://www.corsair.com/us/pc-cases/...00d-700d-front-panel-usb-3-0-upgrade-kit.html

chaos

Just wanted to mention that I have just put together one of the front panel cables using this panel from the Corsair Obsidian (it is one I use in my kits).

The extra bonus feature of using this part is that on the end of the cables that you can't see in this pic (i.e. behind the metal holder) there is a connector which is basically the same type as the G5 front panel connector, so if you use this part it is VERY easy.

Release each of the end pins from the Corsair connector using a pin to gently push back the plastic of the connector and the little terminated clip slides out. Do the same on the corresponding pin on the G5 connector and then slide in the connection from the Obsidian part. So for the Firewire, the power switch and the power LED there is no need to cut and splice and solder any cables. Unfortunately the USB connections on the Corsair part are not terminated the same way, but it means you just have 4 (or 5) solder connections to do instead of 18.....

Just wanted to mention that I have just put together one of the front panel cables using this panel from the Corsair Obsidian (it is one I use in my kits).

The extra bonus feature of using this part is that on the end of the cables that you can't see in this pic (i.e. behind the metal holder) there is a connector which is basically the same type as the G5 front panel connector, so if you use this part it is VERY easy.

Release each of the end pins from the Corsair connector using a pin to gently push back the plastic of the connector and the little terminated clip slides out. Do the same on the corresponding pin on the G5 connector and then slide in the connection from the Obsidian part. So for the Firewire, the power switch and the power LED there is no need to cut and splice and solder any cables. Unfortunately the USB connections on the Corsair part are not terminated the same way, but it means you just have 4 (or 5) solder connections to do instead of 18.....

Great to hear! Sounds like I will be ordering one of these.

So what you're saying is that you still have to detach (cut off?) the G5 18 pin connector, but that the obsidian cables have some kind of clips on them that enables attachment without solder?

Oh my goodness! Why didn't I see this before! Thank-you minihack for pointing this out. I have two of these kits in "inventory" for future hacks, and now they will be so much easier.

Thanks again!
chaos

Great to hear! Sounds like I will be ordering one of these.

So what you're saying is that you still have to detach (cut off?) the G5 18 pin connector, but that the obsidian cables have some kind of clips on them that enables attachment without solder?

Essentially the Obisidian part uses the same small crimp connector as the G5 part. So practice on the Obsidian part in removing the crimped end of the cable from the connector. I found a small pin can just ease up the little plastic tongue of the connector to let you pull the crimped end out. When you have had all your practice on the Obsidian connector then use the same principle on the G5 connector to remove the old wires and then simply push the crimped end of the new wires from the Obsidian set back into the G5 connector......Be careful not to break the little plastic tongue that holds the crimps in place (that's why it is good to practice first on the connector from the Obsidain. In reality it is VERY simple to do and saves you a lot of soldering.

Only need for splicing or soldering is on the USB wires.

These photos may help. They show where to insert pin and withdraw the connector. No force is needed.....

If the plastic tongue on the 18-way G5 connector block looks a little loose after inserting crimped end of the Obsidian wire then just push the tongue in gently. I managed to break one of the tabs on the Obsidian plastic block, but immediately learnt from that, so that by the time it came to working on the G5 connector I was certain I knew what I was doing!

Attachments

• PA061017.JPG
    PA061017.JPG
    855.9 KB · Views: 736
  • PA061018.JPG
    PA061018.JPG
    855.4 KB · Views: 674
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back