Contribute
Register

G5 Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, you can only re-use the G5 end clips to keep the new stator and board in place?
Yes, I re-use all parts of the G5 fan except the board with the fan coils. This will be swapped with the board of the Noctua fan (see picture in comment #7). So I reuse the end clips. To remove these parts is the hardest job, because if they are bend to much, the fan will make some noises after the reassembling. After modification you won't see anything of the modification. Also the fan noise is the same like before with the original board.

There's not much experience. I've read in another forum, that the fan coils of the Noctua NF-B9 redux-1600 PWM should fit. So I tried and yes, it fits.
To disassemble remove the sticker and the magnet from the back of the fan. Then carefully drill the plastic out until you see the fan shaft. Take a cutter knife to remove all the plastic until you see the plastic ring, which holds the fan shaft. This can be removed (with a small pliers). Now the fan can be completely disassembled. I've attached some photos of this.
You could just pull it out by pulling hard, there is no need to drill anything.
If you read about this on a German hachintosh-forum, it was me))
I did it also with Arctic F8 and F9, but it was not so easy like Noctua.

You could just pull it out by pulling hard, there is no need to drill anything.
If you read about this on a German hachintosh-forum, it was me))
I did it also with Arctic F8 and F9, but it was not so easy like Noctua.
Do you mean pulling the fan blades off? I gave it a try with Arctic F9 fans by drilling the back out, which did work but eventually got stuck with an inner bearing that I couldn't remove. I read your posts on the German forum, your project looked great!

Do you mean pulling the fan blades off? I gave it a try with Arctic F9 fans by drilling the back out, which did work but eventually got stuck with an inner bearing that I couldn't remove. I read your posts on the German forum, your project looked great!
I mean, that the Noctua fan can simply be pulled out, without any drilling. But with the Arctic F8/F9 it was HORROR))) Out of 20 fans, I broke 4)))) The problem is that the plastic axle on which the stator is mounted is manufactured in one piece. When trying to knock the plastic axle out of the stator, the PCB is very easily damaged. It is possible to do but I recommend everyone not to buy Arctic for the G5 fan mod. And thank you for the feedback

Glad to be helpful. You're wellcome
Just to clarify, how do you mean that the fans can be pulled out without drilling? If you can't do it by pulling the fan blades off from the front (which I believe you said wasn't how you did it), then how else could you get to the stator without drilling into the back? Perhaps I have misunderstood you, and you do recommend pulling the fan blades off?

Just to clarify, how do you mean that the fans can be pulled out without drilling? If you can't do it by pulling the fan blades off from the front (which I believe you said wasn't how you did it), then how else could you get to the stator without drilling into the back? Perhaps I have misunderstood you, and you do recommend pulling the fan blades off?
The Noctua don't need be drilling to get the fan blades off but by Arctic F8/F9 we have another "story".
Having a good experience in disassembling fans, out of 20 Arctic fans I killed 4. The problem is not to remove the propeller itself (you have to drill it by Arctic]), the problem is that the plastic axle on which the stator stands is fused with the stator into one piece. And in order to separate them, you have to completely destroy the plastic in the middle of the stator, during which not only the contacts are soldered off, but also the electrical board, which is made in a very cheap way, breaks easily.
So I don't recommend to buy Arctic fans for G5 Modding.

The Noctua don't need be drilling to get the fan blades off but by Arctic F8/F9 we have another "story".
Having a good experience in disassembling fans, out of 20 Arctic fans I killed 4. The problem is not to remove the propeller itself (you have to drill it by Arctic]), the problem is that the plastic axle on which the stator stands is fused with the stator into one piece. And in order to separate them, you have to completely destroy the plastic in the middle of the stator, during which not only the contacts are soldered off, but also the electrical board, which is made in a very cheap way, breaks easily.
So I don't recommend to buy Arctic fans for G5 Modding.
That makes a lot of sense! I do have the aforementioned Noctua fans (NF-B9 redux 1600 PWM) so I suppose it should be a lot easier. Would you happen to know if any (somewhat) detailed instructions exist on disassembly of these specific fans? I suppose it is not as easy as simply pulling the fan blades off and then the stator can just be taken off?

That makes a lot of sense! I do have the aforementioned Noctua fans (NF-B9 redux 1600 PWM) so I suppose it should be a lot easier. Would you happen to know if any (somewhat) detailed instructions exist on disassembly of these specific fans? I suppose it is not as easy as simply pulling the fan blades off and then the stator can just be taken off?
Very good! If you have B9-Redux (you can also use B8-Redux = the same size of stator, only difference in rpm of fan models) you can easily mod your g5-fan with it:
1) Pull out the fan blades [no need to drill]
2) Use a gas wrench or large pliers to pull out the stator. But do not forget to carefully wrap the stator with some soft material so that the pliers do not damage the stator. The stator is glued on, so it must be pulled out by slowly twisting it to the left and right. Do not forget to wrap the stator with soft material, otherwise you will damage (!)
PS: And if you are not going to re-solder the wires to the desired size, have care for the wires when you pull (!)

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 134
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 131
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 139
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg