Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
original powermac G5 late 2005
CPU
Power PC Dualcore 2GHz
Graphics
6600 LE
So it's my first ever g5 conversion, and so far it's been an interesting process. However, I'm fully unable to get the fans spinning on my atx. I've looked at every single wiring diagram out there and tried everything but I just can't figure out what's wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

PS: I'd like to know if there's any way of making them work without a fan controller, regardless of the noise levels.

So it's my first ever g5 conversion, and so far it's been an interesting process. However, I'm fully unable to get the fans spinning on my atx. I've looked at every single wiring diagram out there and tried everything but I just can't figure out what's wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

PS: I'd like to know if there's any way of making them work without a fan controller, regardless of the noise levels.
These fans aren't ATX compatible despite the connectors looking similar.

check out this thread if you haven't already. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g5-power-hack.18370/page-3

You can use a resistor to slow down the fan speed.

Meh, don't worry bout the delta fans. Swap them out for white 92mm standard case fans instead. Heck, I bet the grey noctua ones would go quite nicely. If you wanted to get fancy, you can cut the new case fan wires and solder them back up to the black plug on one side. Then solder the standard motherboard header sides back on the other. It seems a little daunting at first, but you can retain the removable function that way.

Did mine like that the first time. I used Arctic ones back then.

Hi, the original Delta fans draw 0.6 A current. The most mainboards deliver only 1 A per fan connector. So it is not stable working with the dual fans for CPU cooling and in the top of the case.
To keep the original look I've disassembled the Delta fans and swapped the inductors with the ones from Noctua fans. This works very well.

Attachments

• replace_fan_inductor.png
    replace_fan_inductor.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Hi, the original Delta fans draw 0.6 A current. The most mainboards deliver only 1 A per fan connector. So it is not stable working with the dual fans for CPU cooling and in the top of the case.
To keep the original look I've disassembled the Delta fans and swapped the inductors with the ones from Noctua fans. This works very well.
Could you share your experience of swapping the motor and board? I’ve had terrible luck with finding fans where the back isn’t sealed with solid plastic so you can’t take them apart.

There's not much experience. I've read in another forum, that the fan coils of the Noctua NF-B9 redux-1600 PWM should fit. So I tried and yes, it fits.
To disassemble remove the sticker and the magnet from the back of the fan. Then carefully drill the plastic out until you see the fan shaft. Take a cutter knife to remove all the plastic until you see the plastic ring, which holds the fan shaft. This can be removed (with a small pliers). Now the fan can be completely disassembled. I've attached some photos of this.
1_fan_back.jpg

2_drill.jpg
3_disassemble.jpg
4_parts.jpg

Thanks for your detailed reply! I'm going to give it a try with another fan I have laying around, an Arctic F9 PWM PST fan.

Just to put some info out there, I believe that pretty much every fan that touts a long-life fan (bearing) trait means it'll be sealed. Some say it more explicitly by talking about dust resillience. I have ordered a cheap sleeve bearing fan that I believe will have the old-style accessible rubber cap. Downside of these fans is that they're pretty much never PWM since sleeve bearing is the cheapest style of bearing. Your approach definitely will give the best result once you get the original stator and board out in one piece.

Do you have a decent bit of slack when you're drilling before you start hitting the actual board? I'm somewhat scared that I'll drill through something essential. I assume from your method you also don't keep the traditional white c-clip that the older fans (incl. the G5 ones) have. So, you can only re-use the G5 end clips to keep the new stator and board in place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back