Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
G5 Core i7 2600k - Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 - Gigabyte OC GTX 770 - 16gb 1600hz

I wanted to post my finished system so other people who are thinking of going this route can see my interpretation of a macpro hackintosh. The components were chosen at the time when this was pretty much the best you could do. I mostly game with the system and this is why I choose hackintosh after being die hard apple fan for many years. I wanted something that I could do high end gaming and still get OSX. It's been running for over a year with not to many issues. One of the graphics cards bit the dust and had to send it off for warranty. Pretty sure it didn't like how high I had it overclocked. Also chrome in osx does not work well with the dual video cards. No idea why, I just use firefox now. If your interested on building this system I would follow a guide, which this is not.

2014 update. Removed the two 6870's for the gtx 770. Runs cooler less power and more performance. Also upgraded the bluetooth. I will try and update my photo library with new pics when I can. I also re-organized where the drives were placed in the cage just to help a little with airflow over the gpu.

Geekbench Score 15390 (OSX) Mavericks
Unigine Heaven 4.0 Benchmark 1645 (Windows 7)

Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor OC 4.2GHz 4 cores 8 Threads

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600hz Ram

GIGABYTE GV-N770OC-2GD GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready WindForce 3X 450W Video Card

OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Windows 7)

OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Mac OSX 10.7.5)

Western Digital WD Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

TP-Link TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter, 2.4 GHz 450 Mbps/5 GHz 450 Mbps, IEEE 802.1a/b/g/n, WEP, WPA/WPA2

OCZ ZX Series 850W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold High Performance Power Supply

LG Black 6X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Model GGC-H20L

IOGear GBU521 Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter

2X Noctua NF-R8-1800 80mm Case cooler (Exhaust Fans)

Antec Truequiet 140mm Case Fan with Silicone Grommets to Reduce Turbulence and Noise (Intake)

Mountain Mods Modular Removable Motherboard Tray 2x80mm

Here is the album http://www.tonymacx86.com/members/lynx1984/albums/g5-hackintosh/ *I dont know how to post the pictures in this post"

Hey there- just came across the G5 i7 build you did, and had posted a while ago- thought I'd chime in and say it looks great! I wanted to do a mac case for my rig initially but could only find really crusty dinged up ones on ebay so ended up with a nice lian li instead (no regrets tho). I had no idea the MB goes in upside down on powermacs, or was that your own solution? It makes a lot of sense actually, and could provide a nice little chase compartment for the case/fan wires right behind the optical drive... Also- I wondering if the back of the case needed modifications for the GPUs and TPLink etc. to be serviceable...? If it did, you certainly did it very well- looks like Apple made that thing from the outside! All that and a d-14 squeezed in somehow....

just admiring. good work!

Thank you slabhatnik

for my next build i would not use this case. Looks great, but its hard work and the cooling isn't great. would consider water cooling if using this case and running two video cards. I like a challenge though and I had a great time making it. and it matches my 27" cinema display nicely. The mother boards are mounted upside down from apple. The back of the case needs to be cut open to make way for the mountain mods motherboard tray. http://www.mountainmods.com/motherboard-parts-c-21_34_66.html Thanks for checking it out.

Great work! I used a similar method for the HDDs in the front in my first build. But as you noticed, the temperatures are not that great (GPU).
For my 2nd G5 Mod I kept the airflow in mind and didn't block it -> much better temperatures (more than 10°C).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back