Contribute
Register

G5 Case Mod...yes another one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finboss said:
I really like the look of minihack's rear panel setup so I think that I will keep the dual rear fan setup. I wanted to have 2 intake fans so I sort of need 2 exhaust fans for optimal air pressure. I wasn't planning on reusing the original g5 AC plug anyway, so I shouldn't have any problem moving the new plug off center. It just means I have to laser cut a new template.

I just had a quick check for size. You could actually keep the original twin fans without having to move the power plug and without cutting the top shelf. It will just fit.....any larger than the 92mms though and the plug has to move.

Just got the Cinema Display and damn it is nice :D . The only gripe I have with it is that the whites are slightly more yellow than on my MBP. I am guessing that it can be put down to the matte panel and use of CCFL back lighting.

Cinema Display connected to my Dell. Oh the sacrilege!!!

I have done a little bit of prep work on the case.

Removed the fan grill from the case.

Removed the PCI slots. The weld spots were easily broken using a small screwdriver and hammer. The rivets, on the other hand, took quite a while to remove.

PCI slots removed

Mockup backplate fitted. Obviously this is going to change as I am keeping both fans. However, I also found that I need to adjust the hole for the I/O ports. I need to make it smaller by about 5mm.

Also cleaned up the inside of the case a bit more. I removed the corrosion at the bottom of the case using an abrasive scotch pad and a baking soda solution. It removed a bit of the anodizing but this was unavoidable anyway.

I also found a spray paint for the motherboard tray that should match the anodized aluminium. It is an automotive touch up paint for alloy rims. It has metallic flakes but is not too lustrous. Hopefully it will be dull enough to match the anodising :| .

It's a little bit off topic, but I bought myself a PC a week ago and now moved the hardware in my modded G5 case. But the DVD drive doesn't fit, it won't open because it's to low so it crashes against the case on the inside. Anyone know a drive that fits perfectly in the G5 case?

dermeister said:
It's a little bit off topic, but I bought myself a PC a week ago and now moved the hardware in my modded G5 case. But the DVD drive doesn't fit, it won't open because it's to low so it crashes against the case on the inside. Anyone know a drive that fits perfectly in the G5 case?

If you have the original G5 dvd drive screws you can adjust the dvd drive with them.
All you do is screw them in only so far as to adjust hight of drive.

So if your hitting too low you then unscrew the front screws a bit and screw the rear ones in a bit.

hey mate just wondering if you have any updates? im a kiwi too lol thinking about either doing a case mod or buying a lian li/fractal define r3... i havnt built a hackintosh before but ill be starting one early next year... long story short hows the case going? lol

edit: oh and first post btw

Yeah haven't really had the time to do much more work. I have had exams and other work stuff to get done so the project has kind of taken a back seat. That is all sorted now so I am getting back into it. I will post a couple of updates soon.

Would definitely recommend doing a case mod if you have the money and the patience to do it properly. The mod started off cheap but I quickly found out that i needed to spend more on the tools and materials than I had planned.

Update:

Back panel cut up with dremel and rear I/O fitted.

Motherboard tray and rear I/O fitted (I am going to spray paint these after the test fitting)

I mounted the motherboard tray on the existing standoffs. I had to remove and JB weld some of the standoffs in place to provide proper support.

My new mock up backplate taped in place with the motherboard tray installed. I still need to cut some more of the case to fit the fans and power plug.

Yup hopefully I measured it perfectly and fan grills will fit. I am going to need to cut down the plastic fan mount though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back