Contribute
Register

G5 Case Mod — GA H370M D3H GSM — i5-8500 — RX580 Pulse 8GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I should go for a Gigabyte Z390 UD Motherboard? I'm not wedded to the Asus. Great job of the power supply.
I have printed it out for ref.

I was thinking more about size. If your planning on cutting or buying a kit then sure go for the ATX. Or choose a smaller mATX motherboard which requires less cutting/removal of top shelf.

Decided to go your way no cutting more authentic. Also, the Gigabyte Z390 UD gets a pretty good rating and it’s somewhat cheaper than the Asus.
Size-wise there’s not much in it. Asus 305X244mm, Gigabyte 230X305, unless you are talking about depth? Not sure about that.

Depth from the back plate is 18mm, I may of said 15mm in a previous post but it’s most definitely 18mm. I used the standoffs from the original G5, I removed them with a pair of pliers and they came off easily. That measurement ensures the PCI slots lineup.

Ok. I just want to get the motherboard right. So what board are you using?
The Gigabyte Z390UD and Asus Prime Z370-A are ATX. A lot to take in.

I currently have a Dell Optiplex 7010 GY6Y8 LGA 1155, Ivy Bridge, $13 on eBay. Performance is almost equal to a base 2018 Mac mini. The size is micro-ATX most boards this size should fit inside the G5 without having to cut or remove anything.

Are ok, now that makes sense, has to be micro ATX. The Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI is only 170.18mm x 170.18mm.

Going to use the same as you. Gigabyte H370M D3H. So by the time you're up and running you have all the problems sorted out. LOL... BTW the board size is 230x240mm. Don't think the previous measure for the Gigabyte Z390 was correct.

Good choice!. I haven't been able to test my board yet, I'm waiting until Christmas is out the way before purchasing a processor. Watching prices on a i5-8400/i5-8500 on eBay. I'm a choosing 8th gen processor to pair with the H370M D3H as I don't know which version of BIOS is installed, but I know it will be future proof for a while.

Thanks. Will get H370M and strip out G5 over Christmas. Will be interested to see your results. Why do you think it is so good? What bootloader are you using? As per tonymac UniBeast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back