2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Just picked this up for $50. I have removed all of the internal components. Thinking about getting a conversion kit from here: http://www.thelaserhive.com

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    731.1 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    727.9 KB · Views: 214
I contacted them a few times and got no response. Which led me to continue without using a back panel.

Important consideration in the planning is are you going to use the four integrated PCI slots in the G5 or not.

LaserHive products are excellent. Used them in both my G5 projects.

Good Luck!

I'll be using my full ATX Gigabyte Z68 board. The only PCI cards that I will be using will be a 5770 graphics card and a gigabit LAN card. More than likely I will never use the remaining slots.

I have thought about placing the power supply on the top, but I am worried about heat. Also, if I use the full ATX board with the stock PCI slots, I will not be able to mount the power supply there, due to the motherboard needing the space and having to cut the panel.

The Laser Hive sells a full ATX kit that places the board lower in the case where it does not protrude into the top drive bay section. I thought about purchasing this, but wanted some feedback before I spent the $100 on it.

As for the fans, I thought about having two intake fans and two exhaust fans. Not sure which I would place in the front or rear yet. I'll be replacing the stock fans though with some Noctuas as the ones in the G5 are very loud.

Thanks for the input.

Can't help you with feedback on the full ATX panel, but the quality of LH workmanship overall is excellent. The parts fit like a glove.

You seem to have a good idea where you're headed with this, but just one more comment for you. First and foremost, before you cut or drill anything, plan your cable management strategy for EVERY cable you're going to use. Route it out on paper so you have a map to follow when time comes to piece it all together. Often times, cable management is the last consideration, when in actual fact it should be the first.

Cheers.

Yes, I have thought about cable management. I'll be using a Seasonic or Corsair power supply with fully sleeved cables. All SATA cables will be sleeved as well. I like to keep my cables neat and tidy. I'll be using some of these to secure the cables to the case: http://www.lowes.com/pd_292685-1781-45-1MBUVL_0__?productId=3128405 along with some black zip ties.

I'll probably sleeve the power supply cables in a graphite or grey color.

Keep the pics flowing as you progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back