Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have an old Power Mac G5 case that I want to create a hackintosh in. This is my first build and kinda my dream project right now.
First I want to know if its possible.
Will there be issues with a new motherboard not fitting the case. On that note what motherboards fit the case.
I want to use an Intel i7 processor, should I wait for the Haswell release or am I gonna be wasting my time and money.
The graphics card must support at least HDMI and Thunderbolt. Display port is an added bonus.
I will have a 64GB SSD and at least a 2TB 720RPM HDD or a VelociRaptor 1TB drive turned into a FusionDrive to boot form my boot disk. Then I will also have at most 8TB in RAID 0 drives for my media library. So I will need at least 2 6MB/s SATA and 2MB/s SATA connections on the motherboard.
As for USB the more 3.0 the better.
Taking suggestions on AC WiFi cards. Must support 10/100/1000 Ethernet.
Does anyone know an easy way to redo the front pannel wiring to work with the new board?
Can I put USB 3.0 ports on the front?
Optical drive not needed.

Please let me know your thoughts, experience, or if I'm completely out of my mind and it will never work. Like I said this is my first build so I'm ready for some serious WTF moments and a couple nights crying in the fetal position trying to figure out why I tried this in the first place.

More to the point then since this works. What are the stupid first timer mistakes I need to be aware of to not bugger this up to the point of no return?

More to the point then since this works. What are the stupid first timer mistakes I need to be aware of to not bugger this up to the point of no return?

Cover the back of the case with tape you can write on where you are going to make cuts. Use a straight edge to mark your cuts so the line in on the "good" side of the cut that will remain behind. Scrawl a curvy line on the "bad" side you are going to throw away so you know which side of the line to cut on. When making cuts with a dremel tool be very careful to leave the line - leave a small amount of clean tape behind if you have to, but don't cut into the line. You can always use a fine file to remove extra material, but it is impossible to add some back if you cut wrong. PLAN AHEAD!!! Measure many times before you cut! Can not emphasize that enough. Take your time - never allow anything to rush you when you are cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back