Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
I still didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
G5 CASE MOD: MATTE BLACK AND ITALIAN LEATHER BELT WITH CHROME BUCKLE

Normal case modding for ATX apart from the backplate being able to swivel for easy access, whilst using the original fan layout at the back with a RAID array at the front.

Leather belts: The leather belts act as a hinge when screwed down to the case and back plate. Four man belts (xxl) in total were used, as you are looking at 2meters for full length of one strap, and then its a simple chop and screw method. Note: screwing the belts down to the case and backplate created the leather hinge which carried tension.

In this mod i decided to cut away just below the top handles on the back plate side because i liked the look of it. Cutting away underneath the bolt section at the back plate would add security when handling. My mod works well, but you have to use the tension on the belts when you pick it by the handles, as opposed to the handles being screwed down, but i prefer the look of the cut away handles and the functional use of a belt.

For the back plate to swivel i have to cut some of the back of the case where the motherboard has its input usb section. The graphics card stays put but i suppose you could cut away to make this travel aswell. The motherboard runs normally whilst the back is apart from the case, but like i said the graphics card needs to be handledseparately.

CPU: Its a phenom 6 core running on stock G5 cooler that i have modded. At full load it gets to 45 degrees, and it has the same back fan layout but with silent fans running and an additional fan control unit at the top back of the case.

Attachments

• DSC_0152.jpg
    DSC_0152.jpg
    905 KB · Views: 656
  • DSC_0165.jpg
    DSC_0165.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 566
  • DSC_0166.jpg
    DSC_0166.jpg
    947.5 KB · Views: 570
  • DSC_0169.jpg
    DSC_0169.jpg
    903 KB · Views: 571
  • DSC_0175.jpg
    DSC_0175.jpg
    919.7 KB · Views: 552
  • DSC_0178.jpg
    912 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC_0185.jpg
    DSC_0185.jpg
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 638
  • DSC_0147.jpg
    DSC_0147.jpg
    907.6 KB · Views: 622
  • DSC_0132.jpg
    DSC_0132.jpg
    957.5 KB · Views: 570
  • DSC_0128.jpg
    DSC_0128.jpg
    977.2 KB · Views: 556
  • DSC_0155.jpg
    DSC_0155.jpg
    945.2 KB · Views: 499
Thanks. I never really thought of it from that perspective. Much appreciated

The mother board flipping out on the side reminds me of the G3, had fun building one of those.:clap:
Always love to see something different, gets the modding juices churning.:think:

Cheers dude :D

Yeh sure, il tell you as best as i can on how i done it. I flattened the entire heatsink copper bed with a smooth ish file, then used fine wet and dry to get the entire bed as smooth as possible and as flat as possible. I checked the final flatness of heatsink after fine sanding by using engineers blue. This process took some time.

Then i cut away at the lower aluminium surround. Sorry ive got no pics of the flat bed itself, but take note of the aluminium which has been cut away from the bottom of the heat sink. Once I had that, I just used an old cpu clamp from another heatsink, and a motherboard fixture thats been cut away aswell to allow for room (no. 2 pic, closeup photo of clamp and motherboard fixture).

The G5 Heatsink is not top heavy but it is very large to place. The results are however really really good. I practiced on a crappy board first to play around with clamp pressure. Most boards will take some punishment because any heatsink needs to be clamped down with pressure, but its the bending of a board that will fracture most circuits.

My AMD phenom 6 full load gets to 45 degrees and sits there. I am running low amp silent fans at rear of case, and ram fans aswell. It also works very well just as a passive sink.

Attachments

• mONc4myWfJfrXGLy8PBqvBQ.jpg
    mONc4myWfJfrXGLy8PBqvBQ.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 531
  • Photo0826.jpg
    Photo0826.jpg
    831.4 KB · Views: 273
  • Photo0825.jpg
    Photo0825.jpg
    1,023.3 KB · Views: 262
  • !BzCj0Z!EGk~$(KGrHqN,!iUEw5v721,4BMUOVPTcg!~~_35.JPG
    !BzCj0Z!EGk~$(KGrHqN,!iUEw5v721,4BMUOVPTcg!~~_35.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 516
No worries. Id like to try the twin heastsink running into one copper bed, i think that would look insane and perform really well. Might be slightly tricky to do, but its the same principle except you would have to combine the two somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back