Contribute
Register

G4 Tower Build (Sawtooth)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benchmarking OSX Sierra
For this I used the Heaven tool (see Tony's graphics page for downloading ).

Thought this was an outstanding tool (could not stop watching the animations : ), here's my results first with running with settings cranked up to Ultra, then running Medium settings. Looks like good results to me, but haven't seen exact same build/settings to compare them to.

HeavenBenchmarkOSXSierra.png

Compare and Shop
Thought I'd do a spec comparison on what I built (images on left) verses the costs of Apple's two high-end Mac Pro machines that costs between $3000-$4000 USD. My estimated cost (including Mobo $145, Power Supply, $59.99 and WIFI Card, $124.99 not shown here) $1235.97!

There were some other small costs for things I didn't have, like tools such as a dremel, and of course not cost for a case since this was a mod on my old G4 PowerMac Tower.

Compare Processor
$299 (for i7)

Compare-Processor.png

Memory
32 GB $165 Total

Compare-Memory.png

Graphics
GeForce GTX 970 $280

Compare-Graphics.png

Storage (I have a combo of Solid State Drives and HD for a dual boot system, below are costs just for the Mac.
Compare-Storage.png

Samsung SSD 250GB $89.99
WD Blue 2TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB $72.00

Last edited:
The making of, my Hackintosh.

My build is very similar to yours, and comes all in the mail friday. pumped.
I'm going for 980 TI eVGA SC+ ACX 2.0
I7 6700+
h100i v2 liquid cooling
same ddr4 3200 RAM 16gb
Same motherboard

this will be my first hackintosh. Can't wait to build it and spend 12 hours on the forums figuring out how to make it work >_<! :D
I need the bios settings, etc. By any chance do you have pictures of all your settings/configs?

Ugh... I've not done any updates, now my Mac OS is back to the black screen rebooting have way through starting up. Only thing I can think of is while using the PC/Windows side I connected three monitors.

22 Feb Update: Solved (most of it). Somehow the config.plist under SMBIOS, my computer model changed back to an iMac 17, late 2005. I had fixed this previously by changing it it iMac 14, late 2003.

Now I just need to get all my monitors working (I don't think the NVIDA drivers are still fully working). I have 3 Monitors, works great under Windows 10, as NVIDIA has a nice application that lets control multiple monitors under a setting called "surround" but there is no such app for the Mac, only the NVIDA Driver Manager.

My problem is my Mac only sees 2 monitors, the ones connected via DP-VGA, but does not see the one connected via HDMI, it does not even show up System Preferences - Mirroring options.

MonitorConnections.png

Attachments

• NVIDIA-WebDriverGrayedOut.png
    NVIDIA-WebDriverGrayedOut.png
    166.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 1.28.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 1.28.16 PM.png
    109.3 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
My build is very similar to yours, and comes all in the mail friday. pumped.
I'm going for 980 TI eVGA SC+ ACX 2.0
I7 6700+
h100i v2 liquid cooling
same ddr4 3200 RAM 16gb
Same motherboard

this will be my first hackintosh. Can't wait to build it and spend 12 hours on the forums figuring out how to make it work >_<! :D
I need the bios settings, etc. By any chance do you have pictures of all your settings/configs?
Hey, sorry for the late reply, do you still need bios settings for this mobo?

3 Monitors Update
My theory proved correct - I ordered a 3rd DP-HDMI cable, now my MacOS sees all three monitors!
Now the only issue is (assumption is it derives it's functionality only from and HDMI-HDMI connection) under Windows 10, is my NVIDA Surround Configuration option has gone away - this is what's used for stretching to full screen for game-playing : (

3Monitors-Working.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back