Contribute
Register

G4 Tower Build (Sawtooth)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are those fans you put in the side venting to? With the plastics on anyway? I did an ivy bridge build with a quicksiver case a few years ago and ended up scrapping it after I had it going mostly because of heat issues, and also some other case related issues probably of my own doing, ended up putting it in a cheap and easy case thinking I would figure it out soon enough. I'm looking to go back and fix my mistakes and do it at least okay this time, so that's why I'm curious.

As far as your front panel goes, if you want it perfect, solder it, if not, power switch and led sounds just fine to me, what do you need a reset button for anyway?

And as far as your other issues, when I first did my build, the latest geforce graphics were a PITA to get working but work now without any effort after an OSX update or 2. Still, I would think those updated drivers you got should work? Audio, I didn't know what I was doing and bought a MB that had VIA audio which evidently OSX will never support. Workarounds to make it work were unstable to say the least. I ended up getting a cheap USB audio dongle and I have now forgot about my audio problems since.
Yes, dual fans - I'm keeping an eye on the processor temp, so far so good. One thing I will reverse, as the fans were blowing out, turn them around so it pushes all heat from inside the case out the back vents. The front panel was a synch using just jumper cables, not sobering, not splicing etc. NVIDIA from what I can tell has not updated the drivers for OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 (15G31) yet, so right now at least I have a bootable system for the Mac side, but during Clover updates I've lost my Windows SSD boot option, Audio/graphics still don't work, and now for some reason ethernet stopped functioning.

FrontPanel Success
No soldering, no splicing of wires - just used jumper cables (purchased strips so I could peel off just the amount I needed for the job). Also wired the internal system (the original mac one) speaker to the mobo using jumper cables as well once i matched up all the mobo pins to the front panel card pins and speaker, everything works except the Apple programming button which in all these years I've never used.

FrontPanelWiring.png

FrontConnectMoboMapping1.jpg

Last edited:
Final Case Assembly
A few shots of the G4 case all closed up and running el Capitan (though not fully functional yet).
Side shot of the Apple logo glowing from the LED internal fans : )

• What's not working (Help!!!!)
  • Audio (I've tried about everything my OS is OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 (15G31)
  • Graphics (NIVIDIA) Site says no driver updates, current ones still not working
  • Ethernet - after upgrading Clover this stopped working
  • Windows SSD Boot drive (after upgrading Clover) no longer shows as a boot option : (
HackCase1.png

Last edited:
Hi! Which Clover version do you use?
Try my config if you on 35XX and higher, it should work.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    470.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Hi! Which Clover version do you use?
Try my config if you on 35XX and higher, it should work.
Using Clover boot Clover_v2.3k_r3763 and Clover Configurator Version 4.32.1.

Using Clover boot Clover_v2.3k_r3763 and Clover Configurator Version 4.32.1.
I've just installed the same Clover version and faced the same issue - unsigned kexts doesn't load during boot. The only solution I found is to add InjectKexts/Yes and NoCaches/True into the Clover config file under SystemParameters.
Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 21.51.06.png

I've just installed the same Clover version and faced the same issue - unsigned kexts doesn't load during boot. The only solution I found is to add InjectKexts/Yes and NoCaches/True into the Clover config file under SystemParameters.View attachment 211946
You are brave (installing the new MacOS : ) - are you hand-coding your config.plist? Many references I see on this site I don't see via the Clover Configurator tool - being a nube not sure where to add stuff via text editor, though I am familiar with what looks like XML code structure.

You should consider using the slim slot loading optical drive, it only need to cut the hole in the front door.
FYI I did look at a few of these, but they still had a depth of 9 inches (over 20 cm) at which the RAM would be in the way and cause the door not to close : (

FYI I did look at a few of these, but they still had a depth of 9 inches (over 20 cm) at which the RAM would be in the way and cause the door not to close : (
I'm really sorry for misunderstanding, the reason for this is my bad english :(
I mean exactly what you see in the pictures. The drive has dimensions of 128x125 mm and fits perfectly. I abandoned this drive cause I badly want to keep the original look of G4.
drive2.jpg
drive1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back