Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I thought it was about time I put some pictures up of my Sawtooth mod (although some of them have already appeared in other threads about switches and motherboards).

This is where it is at currently, though I am still playing with different parts trying to decide what will be best in the end.

In making this, basically I knew what I'd be up against as a lot of others have done this before so the main things to tackle are:

1. Sort out placement of the standoffs for mATX board and adapt the rear panel.

2. Sort out the issue of the mATX board not allowing a standard DVD drive to be in the standard place;

3. Remove material from the internal shelf to stop any collisions with Ram; and

4. Sort out power supply.

Number 1 - this is detailed really pretty much in my thread about mobo trays here. Basically though I used a template to position the standoffs and drilled the door and the plastic latch thing and for the rear panel I first drilled out the rivets that hold the PCI bracket from the Mac and replaced that by a rear plate from perspex like this:
p3220494.jpg

and made a front plate from perspex like this:
p3220491.jpg

Both plates have holes that line up exactly with where the rivets were in the original and the rear plate has threaded inserts so that screws hold front plate to back plate with the original mac framework held between them. The original PCI bracket bit I just cut off to re-use the screw mountings for where the PCI-E cards would screw in (the rest was put away in my boxs of bits that "might come in handy later").

For numbers 2 and 3 I did radical surgery to the shelf and cut it back to be just the width of the power supply and trimmed the straight cut edge with edge trim and I cut back the holder for the DVD drive so I could mount a slot loader up as high as possible directly into it:
p3220495.jpg

This slot loading drive now is up so high that when the door of the G4 is closed it is just a bit below the top edge of the motherboard but is high enough not to interfere with any components on the board I have (and should be okay for pretty much every mATX board) - so none of the sawing away corners of disk drives to fit them in.....

At the front of the G4 I decided that as the slot loader was so high up I could also add some front panel connectivity so I found a great kit from Corsair that added 2 USB 2.0 ports, a Firewire port, 2 USB 3.0 and headphone and mic outputs and did this:

p3220489.jpg

p3220500.jpg

p3220487.jpg

As you may see from the pic.s above I pulled off the original "button" from the DVD door of the G4 and the plastic bit that was there and replaced them with a little lever I could just press down with a finger to open the door for access to the ports and for inserting DVDs. The power of the slot load eject though is enough on its own to open the door (I guess with it being right at the top furthest from the hinge it is okay for that).

Finally, for sorting out the power supply I actually gutted the original G4 one and put another supply inside the case - so I could keep the connectivity the same.

I'll post some more pic.s of the process in a while.

That is F'en awesome!!
Man o man you've been doing wonders with that laser cutter!!!
Makes me really want to snag one lol.

Great work minihack keep it up!

Thanks Eelhead.

The main thing is mapping out where the metalwork is underneath and getting the inside holes and the outer profile of the files to match. Once the digital files have been made up it is then pretty cheap to reproduce or modify (e.g. change power supply outlet, or put a couple of fans on a panel). My aim is to make it really cost effective for anyone making a mod to a G3 or a G4.

Great job at keeping the stock look of your "Sawtooth" build :headbang: . I especially like how you were able to integrate a slot loading drive into yours. I unfortunately am not able to get that into mine because of how my logic board is laid out. But the space left enables me to put the extra 80mm fan to blow across the board and other components. I hadn't thought of taking apart the original PSU from the "Sawtooth" and to insert the new one because I did a lot of careful measuring and was able to find a 600 watt PSU that fit. Ironically it was a Dynex one from Best Buy of all places (also the only place they allowed me to open it to make sure it would fit, didn't hurt that it was at the BBY I used to work at). So color wise it matches the case, the down side is that the exhaust fan for the PSU is on the back side and blows into the case. I'll probably have to drill some vent holes near the exhaust fan so it can exit the case. That should hopefully allow an ambient temp drop inside the case.

What did you use for a CPU cooler? The stock Intel one or an aftermarket one and if you went after market did were you able to find one that was a standard height that worked or did you have to go with a low profile cooler. Since I down clocked mine by flipping the "EZ Overclock switch" back to the stock 3.2Ghz vs the 3.8Ghz it had been running at before the CPU temp went down to an average of 32 degrees C. Would a better cooler help??

Thanks Roto31 for the nice comments.

On the cooling I actually just went with the stock cooler on this one as I had one lying around and don't plan to keep this mod. for very long - will be looking at selling the case on. I also wanted to keep it fairly stock on the inside.

I have been using it as my daily work hack for the last month and with basically unmodified cooling it is fine all day long with my i7 870 on the P55M-UD4. Temp.s are typically no more than 40C. The PSU I put in actually has two fans pulling air out of the case as it has an 80mm pushing air in from the inside of the case as well as the one at the rear of the case sucking it out - only other fan in there is a replacement quiet 120mm fan I had in my parts bin that takes the place of the original 120 side fan. If I was looking to overclock or do much video encoding though I would definitely look at an upgrade but I love this board and processor as it has never missed a single beat or KP'd since I first used it in my G5 hack.

The slot loader where it is is pretty much as far out of the way of any microATX board as it is possible to get it as I wanted to really make a G4 hack that would take pretty much any MicroATX board, rather than one where you have to hunt around for a board that would fit the confines of the case. Also, if anyone wanted to fit a board in there that did interfere with the case then the position of the slotloader means it could be removed without affecting the rest of the stuff behind the front panel as you have to angle your head in to even realise there is a DVD drive there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back