Register

G4 MDD Freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell
CPU
Graphics
I know many don't use this case for much given it's a sod but I decided to use it for my FreeNAS. It only cost me £30 complete.

YpjNwOg.jpg

Took it all apart.

XLm7y7p.jpg

Bought a donor.

yuih4LH.png

Things needed for the modding.

Extra PSU (one for the board etc and the other for the drives)

NoaeIsA.jpg

I am going to "remote mount" the board.

V11OfZn.jpg

J2BshLl.jpg

gTEStEB.jpg

tdos7dy.jpg

bPI7leX.jpg

8mfgqx3.jpg

gm3iXC4.jpg

l1uRd4Z.jpg

And then what went.

g72xF0T.jpg

And what stayed.

knXxP6u.jpg

RsO5uUV.jpg

Step one, cooling. They call this the wind tunnel, I would hate to disappoint.

r5TTvJv.jpg

180mm Enermax Vegas.

Then work on the internal layout.

60Wd3xF.jpg

That is where the board will live.

Then trial fit everything to see if it works as I hoped.

sm3TOTF.jpg

Good, it does. Better still that one fan should really take care of all of the cooling.

XfAjfF6.jpg

OK so time to make some stuff. Made stand offs for the two PSUs (you can't see those they will be under, but they are just 5mm acrylic plates) then made this.

ywSAx3R.jpg

And this.

By5fuil.jpg

And then finally this.

4knfCJa.jpg

Glued PSUs together, test fit everything loose. I still need a good day for metalwork.

lVk25pu.jpg

The power comes in here. This will be bolted in when I have done the metalwork and cleaned the chassis.

bTLVViV.jpg

And then.

TYMJ2y0.jpg

The power will enter through that, then split off to two kettle plugs for both PSUs. To start the hard drives I will be fitting a latching switch.

kj7otNA.jpg

I did buy one of those amazing ACME holes that Bad Obsession Motorsport use, but FML it didn't work. So I will have to cut mine.

VZDpPAt.jpg

I have removed the original IO for the board and will be making my own. That is where the NIC, DP and etc sockets will all live (on those extenders I bought).

I can fit one PCIE card into the top two slots, so I bought this for that.

Vs8SVHm.jpg

I have also converted the Apple's power switch and LED to work with the Dell board (soldering) and converted the speaker to the Dell plug (soldering). I wasn't going to bother, but the Dell firmware has a very good test mode that uses the speaker, so it needed one.

Still lots to do, but I will post progress.

Cheers !

Motherboard
Dell
CPU
Graphics
Metal work is done. The fan did fit, but it was a press fit which I wasn't happy about (hence the relief in the rear wall)

0JTQEFM.jpg

sLeFOJu.jpg

I can fit the board posts now. Will do that later.

8uqJNhK.jpg

Motherboard
Dell
CPU
Graphics
Forgot a step.

I got that Delta PSU (the secondary one) for £9 on Ebay. Delivered.

When it came I dismantled it, removed every wire from the PCB that I did not need and soldered in one Molex. The reason is simple, I will be using this thing.

YfOLBD2.jpg

This was the PSU after the work was done.

2ezu69M.jpg

Most of this stuff was left over junk from other builds and mods. Like the acrylic, etc etc. Most of the cables too.

The black and green wires are the start wires from the PSU (ground and green). These will be braided and fitted to the latching switch when it arrives. Obviously it has been tested etc.

I am trying to keep the cable runs down. Mostly just to keep it as simple as I can and tidy.

Motherboard
Dell
CPU
Graphics
Thank you sar !

It's a bit sad that these MDD are literally going in skips because they are very hard to mod into a Hackintosh.

I priced up four bay NAS and yeah.. Let's not go there. I reckon that this NAS, fully running (without drives of course but none come with them) should run me about £120, SAS card cables and all.

I mean yeah, it's kinda big but they are very pretty and my interior is all grey and white (as are many these days seems to be the in thing :) )

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I reckon that this NAS, fully running (without drives of course but none come with them) should run me about £120, SAS card cables and all.
What model of Dell Optiplex is the donor ? Looks like the 7010 DT. Possibly also the 9010 DT.

Motherboard
Dell
CPU
Graphics
What model of Dell Optiplex is the donor ? Looks like the 7010 DT. Possibly also the 9010 DT.

Yeah sorry about that I forgot to list info. It's the 7010 SFF. I got mine from a charity for autistic kids (recycled) and it cost me £45 with no drives in.

x5qqLwG.png

I posted the wrong pic earlier. It wasn't how Google said it would be inside either. The board *should* have looked like this.

DGzWzjA.jpg

Leaving me more space for mining risers. I bought two (because they are like £5 for two these days) and they work really well. I used one in my latest build for a sound card and it worked swimmingly. You don't even need to connect the power plug if it's not a GPU.

Any small Dell should work. The 9010 seems to be the same (and I suspect what the board I wanted actually was). It fits though..

Mine is a quad core Ivy I5 (3570? something like that?) with 8gb RAM. FreeNAS suggests that after 4 drives you add 2gb RAM per drive you add after, but I doubt I could fully utlilize that Adaptec for all 8 any way.I think space would become an issue.

Still, that card cost me £14, the cable was £7 and yeah, four bay NAS are very expensive.

This is what I actually got out of my Dell.

Fq47rZ1.jpg

2XhlDAy.jpg

Which even though was a PITA because it was bigger than I expected did at least come with more slots.

It's a full size MATX, so if I can cram that in there I am sure that anything smaller would be a cake walk :)

Motherboard
Dell
CPU
Graphics
OK. So does it all fit?. Not the PSU side, but the other side of things.

Apologies for the potato pic, but let's cover the fan first.

UbiJttB.jpg

Yup, that fits OK.

yx6l26p.jpg

It even works. How embarrassed would I have been if the fan I have not used since the Titan Black days didn't work. It's a little off centre, but it gets the job done. Remember I joked about it being a wind tunnel? yeah, turns out I shouldn't have made that joke.

It's a wind tunnel alright. Thankfully the LEDs can be switched off, and I will run it at 7v. If it doesn't kick in at 7v I will get a PCI slot fan controller for it. There is no way my NAS is making that sort of noise :D Gawd, it literally blasts air out of every orifice.

Any way, yeah, back to does it fit.

lCdR4so.jpg

And quite well too. It may not look like a total shed inside after all.

f9FjzvO.jpg

The sound card is only there to get the slot in the correct position.

Thankfully even though the DP shoots the wrong sodding 45' it still reaches with ample room.

gz7ukRv.jpg

Tonight I am going to take apart the enormous USB front IO block from the Dell and remove the USB3 and all sorts of other crap I don't need or want. BTW here is the FP power switch I have modded. Note, the switch itself runs off to the power switch header for the Dell, but the LED connects somewhere else. Typical Dell !

HwSVlWX.jpg

I recycled the Apple ribbon (sliced it into strips). I have no idea how long anything needs to be yet, so I made it long. Thankfully I made a nice PSU cover that I can stuff it all under. Here is the speaker, again didn't want to take any chances given it was all unknown right now.

BwRU5jq.jpg

Motherboard
Dell
CPU
Graphics
Drive bays are now fully attached. They screw in through the back side. PSUs are fitted perma now. Speaker has been rewired and put back in.

5VtXE1w.jpg

It's a wee bit skew whiff but it's all very solid. I cut my thumb open and it wouldn't stop bleeding so I had to work with a paper towel taped over my thumb lol.

It closes nice too.

N4bwkY5.jpg

I wanted to drill and tap the board posts but I forgot I snapped my 2.8mm bit and I need one. So I have ordered some.

Other than the IO plate though once the board is in it's literally done. I just need to make an acrylic IO plate at some point tonight or tomorrow and then the plastics can be buffed and it can all be put back together. I am still waiting on the latching switch, but I can literally finish the whole thing without that and add it at the end.

Motherboard
Dell
CPU
Graphics
Made the IO yesterday

DJQ5JIu.jpg

KiHwFV3.jpg

0mGAtLi.jpg

So I am literally waiting on 2.8mm drill bits and two kettle leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.