Contribute
Register

G4 MDD conversion to mATX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Minihack,

I hope that you are fine.
The reason i reply to your thread is that i need your help if you don't mind.

I have the MDD G4 Case and i want to convert it to a miniAtx motherboard.
I have some problems with the power ON / OFF button switch wires.
What i have to do to connect it to my new motherboard Gigabyte H87M-D3H ?? I have to chenge the wires or is ok like that?
That`s the power switch (on / off button cable)

DSCN3699.JPGDSCN3708.JPGDSCN3704.JPGDSCN3700.JPGDSCN3690.JPG

I hope that you can help me !!
Thanks a lot in advance!

Best

Hello Minihack,

I hope that you are fine.
The reason i reply to your thread is that i need your help if you don't mind.

I have the MDD G4 Case and i want to convert it to a miniAtx motherboard.
I have some problems with the power ON / OFF button switch wires.
What i have to do to connect it to my new motherboard Gigabyte H87M-D3H ?? I have to chenge the wires or is ok like that?
That`s the power switch (on / off button cable)

View attachment 60232View attachment 60233View attachment 60234View attachment 60231View attachment 60230

I hope that you can help me !!
Thanks a lot in advance!

Best
Hi Ezbreaks,

For the switch wiring see my notes in posts 8 and 9 on this thread.

Your motherboard will need the wire I mention as Sw + to go to the positive motherboard switch output (front panel header) and will need one of the earth wires I mention to go to the motherboard negative switch output.

As I mentioned, the red wire on the little ribbon wire bundle is referenced as wire "1" , the one next to it then is two and then three etc...
To confirm everything I really recommend you get a multimeter and check the switch connections before you wire them to your motherboard.
To check the switch wires are correct, put your multimeter to the "Ohms" or "resistance" setting. Remove the cut the wires from the ribbon connector and strip the ends of them and then with one lead of the multimeter connected to wire number "2" (i.e. the one next to the red wire) and the other lead connected to wire number "5" check that when the switch is NOT pressed the resistance is very high (which it should be when the switch is not being pressed) and that then when you press the switch the resistance becomes zero (closed switch). If that is correct then you have found the correct two wires and you can then get some motherboard connectors to wire those two wires up to your motherboard power switch outputs.

Do the checks with the multimeter and then if there is a problem ask me again and I will help you troubleshoot.

Hello Minihack.

Hope that you are fine.....

Tomorrow i will receive i will receive the motherboard processor and source.

I will have this configuration.

Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H
Processor : Intel Haswell i5 - 4570
Memory: 8Gb Crucial (4x4)
Power Source : nJoy 600 Watt
Hdd : WD BLUE 1 TB
And a G4 MDD Case.

I have take some photos on my problem with the power on / off switch.

DSCN3759.jpgDSCN3762.jpgDSCN3760.jpg

I have put the positive wire to number "2" and negative wire to number "5"

Hi,

This sort of thing is because there is more complex circuitry on the board than just the switch and the LED (which we are not interested in as it is not useful). You need to reduce the effects of that extra circuitry....

First thing to do is to strip the integrated circuit from the tiny circuit board. This does not need great skill - just put a small screwdriver or knife under it and twist - the circuit will break away from the board. Then check the readings again.

If after that you are still not getting an open circuit (i.e. VERY high resistance) when the switch is not pressed then look closely at the little tracks on the PCB and use a knife to cut any traces that interfere with there being a simple electrical path from the positive side of the switch to the corresponding connector pin. Keep cutting the tracks until there is a simple straight electrical connection between it and the ribbon connector pin. Do not be afraid to be brutal!

Hi,

So, i have to do this thing???

http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g4/44066-powermac-g4-switch-mod.html

I'm verry sorry that there the pictures doesn't work. Some photos are missing.

No, just read what I put in my last post (above your reply). Take a screwdriver or a knife and pull off the integrated circuit package (in fact I also said that in an earlier post). I am sorry if english is not your first language. But I am trying to help.

So...1. Look at the picture I have just uploaded.
2. Take the multimeter readings again and tell me what they are.

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 278
Hello Minihack,

Hope that you are fine!

Thank you very much for your help!
I've solved all my problems, Now my new MDD CASE is working with my new motherboard!
All fine... it doesn't look so good like yours in the back of case but i like it!
Thank you very much again for your help.
My power on/off switch button now is working and my white led too, and my speaker and i've puted a new red led to HDD.
Thanks!
I will come back with some pictures.

Best Regards

Hello Minihack,

Hope that you are fine!

Thank you very much for your help!
I've solved all my problems, Now my new MDD CASE is working with my new motherboard!
All fine... it doesn't look so good like yours in the back of case but i like it!
Thank you very much again for your help.
My power on/off switch button now is working and my white led too, and my speaker and i've puted a new red led to HDD.
Thanks!
I will come back with some pictures.

Best Regards

Great - really pleased to hear it. I look forward to seeing your build. :thumbup:

Hey MiniHack, Great Mod. Doing one myself. Wondering, how did you you get that back plastic piece off? Wont go over that plastic handle.

Hi, it will pull off over the handle, you just need to be forceful with it.

Support it as much as you can near the handle hole and pull the plastic piece with a hard steady force while pushing the handle in - it will suddenly come off with a loud crack that will probably sound as if you have broken it (!). It is a heart in the mouth operation, but I have done it around a dozen times now on different MDDs and have still not managed to actually break one….

:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back