Contribute
Register

G4 cube renaissance !

Status
Not open for further replies.
tviolation said:
How are your temps with that setup?

Must admit I was wondering that. I did one myself with a pico PSU as that acrylic Cube outer shell does not give a huge amount of ventilation.......

I think that the fan help a lot for decrease temperature

Attachments

• DSC01098.jpg
    DSC01098.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 334
+1 on the hot glue gun action! :clap:

boumbo I am very interested to learn the details of your proximity switch wiring modification. Please post enough detail so that I can replicate your work.

neil

neilhart said:
boumbo I am very interested to learn the details of your proximity switch wiring modification. Please post enough detail so that I can replicate your work.

neil

Hi Neil,
This is how I worked out and wired up my switch.....

http://web.me.com/professionalpatents/MacMini/Cube_Switch.html

Cube%20Switch.jpg

The numbers are referenced to the white connector in the photo and working from the top downwards. This is still working in my rebodied mini and the switch runs from standard PC connections - i.e. Switch +, Switch -, and 5Vsb voltage (this is the one connected to pin "1" in the photo and is an always ON 5 volt connection - purple wire, not red wire from a PSU). Those connections from a PC PSU/MOBO will get the proximity switch functioning correctly.

It is also critical to ensure that the large metal plate is grounded correctly and attached to the PCB by the screw. If you do not do that, then the switch will trigger a cycle of shutdowns and restarts - that is the most common issue and the easiest to get wrong.

I realise too that my explanation in a couple of points on my website could use improvement, so if you need any more info let me know. It is wiring the LED to work correctly (I recommend and use "Workaround 2") that needs careful reading to make sure you attach the switched ground signal (light green from PSU) via 430 Ohm resistor to the correct leg of the LED (the cathode side).

If you'd like any more info I am happy to help.

Obviously Boumbo may have found a different method, but I hope this contribution helps!

Hi minihack said almost everything:

-it must be screw in the metal upper plate , if not: "reset loop"

-+ or - doesn't matter, just solder pin cable 4 and 5 with a standard pc front panel switch cable and then connect it to the power switch pins on the motherboard

-to be functionnal, the touch switch need to receive 5v so use the purple cable on your atx power supply (for me, i make an intermediaire connection to be able to disconect the touch switch board from the psu!)

and final, we don't care about the power led, we don't need that the touch switch board control it so simply solder a standard pc front panel power led cable and then connect it directly on the power led pins on the mother board, it is easier and you will have the led blinking when in sleep mode . So what else? (it is not related to the nespresso thing with george clooney! :) )

VOILA

nothing very complicated, hope that it could help for some people

Attachments

• touch switch.jpg
    touch switch.jpg
    511.9 KB · Views: 522
minihack and boumbo thank you both your response to my query on the proximity switch. I am in the middle of a "redo" of my G4 Cube hack and this time I will take time to bring up the proximity switch (or at least try).

neil

neilhart said:
minihack and boumbo thank you both your response to my query on the proximity switch. I am in the middle of a "redo" of my G4 Cube hack and this time I will take time to bring up the proximity switch (or at least try).

neil

Yes, it is a cool switch - so it's nice to re-use it!

Boumbo - you did a good mod. and managed to get a lot into the case. Really well done.

By the way the cubeowner forum (http://www.cubeowner.com) also has some good stuff on it. There was a guy on there (Parism) who made and sold brackets to help fit the modern slim slot loading dvd drives into the Cube cage. Might be worth tracking a couple down as it makes getting the drive to fit nice and easy. I bought a few pairs a couple of years ago and they made the job easy (no need for the glue gun).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back