Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi There, In considering options for re-building a g4 cube, the power switch seems to create issues with it coming into contact with the motherboard. Had anyone considered moving it as in the picture so that it was just behind the cd drive? There seems to be quite a lot of space under there. What would be the issues?

skitch.jpg

Hi Kiwi, I have just completed my cube and followed minihacks tutorial for the simplified wiring for the switch, and it works perfectly.
Check out my post on it, and you'll see I had to remove one RAM module for the proxy sensor to fit. I suppose it's not a proxy sensor anymore but just a plain old touch switch.

So you are gonna hack the cube??

Cheers.
Rossi.

There is also a felt like solid washer in the case part that you can take out or cut down offering you that little extra space for it all to fit.
Sorry I dont have a pic to share of that little washer/grommet.

If that still doesnt help with the spacing then moving it to the other spot would be a viable solution.

I searched in Australia as well, with only lamp switches showing up with google, which I wasn't sure were suitable, so I stuck with the original switch using mini hacks mods and am very glad I did, it works flawlessly. and I saved a few bucks as well.

Yes, I know that this switch is not easy to find outside of Europe. If you want it, write a mail and ask, if they would ship it to you.

If you have enough space between your MOBO and the stock switch (I had not enough) use it and use the great howto here in this community.

MacTester

Thanks for all the great feedback. I am in AU and have searched before for touch switches with no luck. I have the DQ77KB board which has USB headers on the edge of the motherboard, which would probably get in the way of the touch sensor so looking for alternates. Another idea I saw (#20) from 61mg73 of rotating the sensor board 180 degrees, which moves the board up a little further. I just happened to notice the space on the opposite side, and wondered if anyone had tried it there.

So Rossi to answer your question I am going to hold off modding the Cube for the moment. Instead I am going to build a case from scratch. The design is inspired by aspects of the G4 Cube. It will look a bit like to a Mac Mini standing on its edge, with IO ports facing down, suspended/sandwiched between two pieces of acrylic which will form its legs.

Kiwi, I checked out the image of the Q77 board on the intel website and noticed that one of the usb ports was right where the sensor would be, but I also wondered if the board could be mounted closer toward the centre of the case giving more clearance for the sensor, or even removing that one USB header.
One thing though, is I'm glad now I couldn't find the aftermarket sensor, and had to resort to the original, because it works a treat with no ill behaviour at all, and when I looked closer I realised I could squeeze the other RAM module back in, Although it is hard up against the sensor it causes no problems whatsoever, I am writing this post from the cube.
Good luck on your scratch build and keep us posted.

Cheers.
Rossi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back