Contribute
Register

G4 Cube Inspired Self Build - Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.
holy s**t amazing build this is a 10+ :clap:
Thanks, glad you like it.
I have to admit that I was a little skeptical when I saw your plywood mockups, but this thing turned out really amazing.
You should consider lighting one of the edges of your plexiglass to make the apple logo illuminate. Seems to be a popular method for signs
Thanks. Regarding edge lighting absolutely, I can post a photo latter. I really wanted an LED behind the apple logo (mounted inside the case), but the other components (DVD, and heatsink) made this infeasible.

I have kept the wood for days when I want the grunge look, eight bolts are all that is needed to change the sides. If I had a jigsaw I would cut a large apple logo out of the wood panels, and paint. Could do different designs for different occasions. ;)

If you're going to do interchangeable sides bare rusty steel or oxidized copper with a waterjetted apple logos would be sweet.

If you're going to do interchangeable sides bare rusty steel or oxidized copper with a waterjetted apple logos would be sweet.
Funny you mention that, I was thinking the same thing. I actually found a store with exactly what I want, funny thing they weren't interested in selling.

Apple_-Amsterdam_Store_1-625x657.jpg
Apple-Store-Front.jpg

:lol:

So just upgraded to Mavericks, very simple operation even the fusion drive upgrade was easy. Cheers to all the mods for making this effortless.

But more importantly I fixed the iMessage Login problem with the following guide. Also recreated smbios.plist to be a iMac13,1

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html

Great Mod :clap::thumbup:

Only thing that i want to know...what about your temps ?

Best regards,

lynch

Only thing that i want to know...what about your temps ?

Best regards,

lynch
Glad you liked the build, I spent a long time on it. Have attached screen shots of temps running in idle (many apps running), and under stress running CPU test for half an hour.

At idle temps are in high 40's, with fan's virtually inaudible, running 1100-1200 rpm. Under load temps will rise to early 70's, fans are audible as a soft whir, running at 3400rpm.

I have optimised (in BIOS) this build for quiet operation rather than low temps. 3400rpm is running at 55% of duty cycle, so there is plenty of headroom to increase fan speed (and noise) to bring temps down.

I don't think a higher wattage CPU would be advisable, the little fan wouldn't really be able to cope. Remember this is a laptop fan, and the MacBook Pro (17inch) that this came out of had two of these fans, I have used one.

Kiwi

Attachments

• Temps-Stress.jpg
    Temps-Stress.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 244
  • Temps-Idle.jpg
    Temps-Idle.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 242
Glad you liked the build, I spent a long time on it. Have attached screen shots of temps running in idle (many apps running), and under stress running CPU test for half an hour.

At idle temps are in high 40's, with fan's virtually inaudible, running 1100-1200 rpm. Under load temps will rise to early 70's, fans are audible as a soft whir, running at 3400rpm.

I have optimised (in BIOS) this build for quiet operation rather than low temps. 3400rpm is running at 55% of duty cycle, so there is plenty of headroom to increase fan speed (and noise) to bring temps down.

I don't think a higher wattage CPU would be advisable, the little fan wouldn't really be able to cope. Remember this is a laptop fan, and the MacBook Pro (17inch) that this came out of had two of these fans, I have used one.

Kiwi

Know what you mean, i spend over one year of my time to plan my cube.
Thank you for the screens. :thumbup:

The temps look good.
What to build a cube with an A10-7800 with 65W TDP, so i think i use an other fan to handle the heat.

Thank you for this mod and the informations :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back