Graphics
Galaxy 670 4gb
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello Everyone! My Friend was asking my how i mounted my motherboard specifically in my G3 case.. Well this was not a easy task and used alot of Trial and Error.

What i used frist was a ATX case motherboard mount out of a old dell, i used the dremmel to remove it.
IMG_0856.jpg:arrow:IMG_0854.jpg
This probably would have worked just fine but i found that when i was trying to line up the board with the holes on the G3 door that it was difficult to drill in the right place. This is because i wanted to use the existing G3 case motherboard mounting studs.

So i decided to try Plexiglas. I found some at the local Lowes/Home Depot im guessing any hardware store would carry it and they will even cut it to your specific size needed if you are lucky.
IMG_0836.jpg:arrow:IMG_0872.jpg

Before i installed the Plexiglas i trimmed down the original studs the G3 mobo was mounted on. This is what the blue tape is for.
I trimmed down only the equivalent of the thickness of the Plexiglas that i used.

:banghead: Before drilling anything it is wise to line everything up and do a test fit with your hardware to make sure your PCI cards will be properly lined up and all your connections on the back of the motherboard.

And your at the proper height, its better to waste more time with this than make a mistake on any measurements.
IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

Once they were all trimmed down. I drilled out the holes carefully so i didnt crack the plexiglass. and used the original G3 mobo screws to mount the plexiglas to the case door.

I also pre-drilled the the mATX holes using a old motherboard as a pattern (thanks donor dell)
IMG_0940.jpg

Remember to use the right size drill bit for your mounting studs. And down screw them in to tight or you will strip them and they will just spin when you mount the motherboard.

IMG_0893.jpg

I will update this is Drill Bit Sizes and other info hope this Helps anyone who has questions drop me a line and check out my case mod i will be adding Legit water cooling over my vacation/Christmas break.

BILLYJACKINTOSH

p.s. check out my G3 case mod

I really like your G3 Case. I'm going to do my own G3 Mod and I would like to use the same Plexi motherboard mounting you did.
What drill bit sizes did you use for the matx standoffs and for the original G3 standoffs?? Thanks a lot!

I totally forgot to post the stand offs and drill bit Sizes:shifty:

OK for the motherboard standoffs they are - inch #4-40 NUT

they came in a LINK DEPOT computer screw kit

Most standoffs should be the same or equivalent specs

the drill bit i used was 5/64 bit for the standoffs

***when you screw in the standoffs they should be very snug but do not over-tighten past snug or you will end up with a spinning mount, if a spinning mount occurs it can be fixed with some JB weld probably***

:arrow:

i also made a countersink hole with 1/4 bit to mount the original mac motherboard screws holding the plexiglas to the case

BUT!! your hardware might be different!!! please double check with a practice hole on some scrap before working on the real deal

Good Luck hope this helps! keep me posted via site mail of your progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back