Contribute
Register

G-sync no longer recognized after booting into OS X Yosemite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just discovered I'm having this issue as well. Bought a Dell S2716DG and quickly returned it thinking it was the monitor's fault, broke down and got an ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q and have the same problem :(

Scoured the internet looking for answered assuming it was a driver problem, then yesterday realized that it didnt do it when I was replacing the cable and booted straight into Windows.

I'm running 10.12.1 Sierra, with a Gigabyte GTX 970.

Anyone have any updates on a workaround or fix for this? This monitor kind of relies on GSync to work smoothly. Wasnt as big of an issue with the Dell.

Last edited:
Hey,
Unfortunately there is no workaround available yet. It is clearly a driver issue. If you turn on G-Sync in OS X you get tearing artifacts, if you turn G-Sync off in OS X there are no artifacts in OS X but G-Sync is not recognized after rebooting to windows.

I just unplug the monitor every time I reboot to windows, this is stupid but the only solution I found.

Hey,
Unfortunately there is no workaround available yet. It is clearly a driver issue. If you turn on G-Sync in OS X you get tearing artifacts, if you turn G-Sync off in OS X there are no artifacts in OS X but G-Sync is not recognized after rebooting to windows.

I just unplug the monitor every time I reboot to windows, this is stupid but the only solution I found.

That sucks. I guess I'm gonna go ahead about get one of THESE to go under my desk. Its weird that you get tearing with G-Sync on in MacOS. I havent experienced that. Honestly, I dont see any difference with it on or off in MacOS. Also are you saying that Windows sees G-Sync if you have it turned off on the Mac side? Ive tried both on and off in Sierra, and either way Windows doesnt recognize G-Sync until I do the unplug thing.

Hey,
when I turn on G-Sync in OSX, G-Sync is also recognized when I restart to windows. So with enables G-Sync I do not have the problem of G-Sync recognition. G-Sync is always recognized in OSX and Windows as long as G-Sync is enabled in both systems.

But with enables G-Sync in OSX (my display also indicates active G-Sync), on fast movements I can see screen tearing. When I move a finder window very fast from left to right or when I scroll a long webpage very fast I can see screen tearing. I use 120hz refresh rate in OSX. Because of this issue I always turn G-Sync off in OSX and I have the problem with recognition.

I asked the Nvidia support about this issue and they replied that G-Sync is officially not supported on OSX, so they can not help me.

Hey,
when I turn on G-Sync in OSX, G-Sync is also recognized when I restart to windows. So with enables G-Sync I do not have the problem of G-Sync recognition. G-Sync is always recognized in OSX and Windows as long as G-Sync is enabled in both systems.

But with enables G-Sync in OSX (my display also indicates active G-Sync), on fast movements I can see screen tearing. When I move a finder window very fast from left to right or when I scroll a long webpage very fast I can see screen tearing. I use 120hz refresh rate in OSX. Because of this issue I always turn G-Sync off in OSX and I have the problem with recognition.

I asked the Nvidia support about this issue and they replied that G-Sync is officially not supported on OSX, so they can not help me.

Interesting. I wonder what they changed in the Mac driver that made it this weird. In Sierra 10.12.1 with is Web Driver 367.15.10.15f01 I can have it either on or off, and it doesnt seem to make any difference. But I havent gotten any tearing that I have noticed. When I click on the enable button my screen flashes. So I guess it's doing something. Still this doesnt effect anything on the Windows side. If Ive been in MacOS, Windows isnt going to see GSync.... sigh....

Hi, some news about the problem?
I too have this problem. Every time I enter Windows, I necessarily have to disconnect and reconnect the DisplayPort.

I have it too. Power cycling is the solution. There's a small switch beside the power cable in the back of the monitor. No need to unplug cables.

Yeah, that's the only solutions I have found so far as well. The only problem is that I've been told that constant power cycling isn't good for the monitor, in the long run. So I've only been going it when I know I'm going to be playing something that requires G-Sync. Which is actually not very often.

I also found that if you leave Windows on long enough (an hour or so), G-Sync does kick in on its own.

I found that if you disable and enable the Nvidia drivers in Windows, G-Sync is recognized again (most of the time). Maybe it is possible to create a small software tool which disables and enables the driver after windows startup to enable G-Sync. Or maybe a small script which does the job, but I have no experience in such things

I found that if you disable and enable the Nvidia drivers in Windows, G-Sync is recognized again (most of the time). Maybe it is possible to create a small software tool which disables and enables the driver after windows startup to enable G-Sync. Or maybe a small script which does the job, but I have no experience in such things

How do you disable and enable the drivers? Sounds like a way better solution than power cycling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back