i7-2500K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have upgraded my system to High Sierra few weeks ago. It was a pain and I ended up installing it from scratch and pulling all my files from a time capsule backup. The reason was my Fusion drive and the missing APFS support for Fusion drives.

Has anybody a similar setup and had success with the upgrade to Mojave?

I have upgraded my system to High Sierra few weeks ago. It was a pain and I ended up installing it from scratch and pulling all my files from a time capsule backup. The reason was my Fusion drive and the missing APFS support for Fusion drives.
Has anybody a similar setup and had success with the upgrade to Mojave?
I have also installed my High Sierra system on a fusion drive. I already have tried to update to Mojave on a system copy on a hard drive. I still waiting to read some success stories about fusion drive conversions on a hackintosh.

The bottom line is:
- don't use ApfsDriverLoader.efi
- use the newest Apfs.efi from the Mojave installer

The above I can confirm. Using apfs.efi is working for me on Mojave ApfsDriverLoader.efi is not! You should find a working version installed under /usr/standalone/i386/apfs.efi .

In addition that:
- As far as I understand the situation with Mojave, your boot drive needs to be APFS. Thus if you want to use a fusion drive as a boot drive that has to be APFS formatted.
- Creating fusion drives for apfs has changed as the old coreStorage way is deprecated. But there is a APFS way now! Assuming your fusion-drive is supposed to be created from a fast (i.e SSD) partition "disk0s2" and a big and slower (i.e. standard magnetic disk) partition "disk1s2" you would have to create the APFS container on the command-line with

sudo diskutil ap createContainer -main disk0s2 -secondary disk1s2

Be careful to pick the correct disk partitions in order not to delete valuable data. The values given here are only examples. Yours might be different ones!

You can then add APFS volumes to that new container as you would with any APFS drive. Make sure you still have a GPT disk-layout on the drives, the EFI stuff still wants to go in either of the drives EFI partition. After installation of the Mojave I also had to set the "Startup Disk" using the System Preferences, before I was able to natively boot from the fusion drive. Using e.g. Clover from a USB-boot stick to boot the new volume did work without this.
I created the fusion drive running movaje from another disk. I only assume that the shell you can start from the installer has support for the above command-line statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back