Contribute
Register

Fusion Drive - Clover boot loader

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does one clone a single drive volume to a new fusion drive? I have a 1 TB drive I boot from and want to transfer it to a fusion drive composed of a 250 gb SSD and 2 TB spinning drive. I don't need the USB stick, do I? Is seems as though I need to make the fusion drive, use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone to the fusion, then transfer the EFI volume contents to the EFI volume of the fusion drive. But this does not work. I get a fusion drive that almost completes the boot but freezes right when the white bar gets to 100%.

How does one clone a single drive volume to a new fusion drive? I have a 1 TB drive I boot from and want to transfer it to a fusion drive composed of a 250 gb SSD and 2 TB spinning drive. I don't need the USB stick, do I? Is seems as though I need to make the fusion drive, use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone to the fusion, then transfer the EFI volume contents to the EFI volume of the fusion drive. But this does not work. I get a fusion drive that almost completes the boot but freezes right when the white bar gets to 100%.

What does booting with -v yield?

Sorry for the late reply. I was out of the country for a bit.

At any rate, I decided to reinitialize the fusion drive, copy the EFI partition from the good, bootable drive to the SSD EFI partition of the fusion drive, then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the El Cap volume from the bootable drive to the fusion drive OS X volume. A couple of new things have happened.

First, if I try to boot from the fusion drive, I get the Clover boot menu but my Apple USB keyboard and Logitech scroll mouse (both USB connected) are unresponsive and there is no 5 second countdown to autoboot. So, it is just stuck there totally unresponsive requiring a hard reset. I can't even use it for the function keys to get to the BIOS on the NUC I'm using.

Second, if I have my original boot drive that works perfectly fine connected to the computer by USB3, I get the Clover menu, my keyboard and mouse are perfectly fine, and I can choose the fusion drive as my boot volume and it boots perfectly! :) I can even eject the original drive connected by USB and the computer works fine. So, it is clear to me that I am very close, I just need a little help to figure out why the computer does not see the keyboard and mouse, and why it will not autoboot, when just the fusion drive is connected. Do I need to rerun Multibeast?

Any suggestions?

OK, an update to what's above.

If I "Restart" without the good bootable drive connected by USB, I get the clover menu and the mouse and keyboard are fine. I do not have a countdown to autoboot so I still have to press "Return" to get the computer to boot. And it boots just fine. I can even use the function keys to access the BIOS.

However, if I "Shut Down" the computer shuts down and (as usual) turns back on after a few seconds and I am back to the First problem stated above - keyboard and mouse are totally unresponsive. It gets to the Clover menu but there is no countdown and no way to press "Return" to start the boot process. Even if I unplug the computer to prevent it from automatically turning back on this is the problem. So, I am a bit perplexed by this issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back