Contribute
Register

Function keys not working. What did I do wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3: F5
CPU
i7-870
Graphics
GTX 960
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My functions keys aren't working properly. The keys I have assigned to Mission Control work, but when I hold down the fn key, I just get Dashboard, and Dock items randomly popping up and Menu Bar items randomly highlighting in Blue. With fn held down, I have no control over brightness or volume as I used to. Even after waking from sleep.

This is my second install on my 4530s. I did not have any of these issues the first time round, but I sort of messed things up trying to create a Recovery Drive and had to start over.

Anyway, I followed the install to the letter. I had made a copy of all my ProBook Installer options the first time round and duplicated them the second time round… The only thing I can think that I did differently is I forgot to turn off "Open Bluetooth Set Up Assistant" in BlueTooth System Prefs, and when it prompted me to identify my keyboard by hitting the keys to the right and left of the Shift keys, without thinking, I did…

Could that be what is causing the problem? Did it create or alter a kext that I can delete or repair? I just can't figure out what gives.

Thanks for any help,
Rob

My functions keys aren't working properly. The keys I have assigned to Mission Control work, but when I hold down the fn key, I just get Dashboard, and Dock items randomly popping up and Menu Bar items randomly highlighting in Blue. With fn held down, I have no control over brightness or volume as I used to. Even after waking from sleep.

This is my second install on my 4530s. I did not have any of these issues the first time round, but I sort of messed things up trying to create a Recovery Drive and had to start over.

Anyway, I followed the install to the letter. I had made a copy of all my ProBook Installer options the first time round and duplicated them the second time round… The only thing I can think that I did differently is I forgot to turn off "Open Bluetooth Set Up Assistant" in BlueTooth System Prefs, and when it prompted me to identify my keyboard by hitting the keys to the right and left of the Shift keys, without thinking, I did…

Could that be what is causing the problem? Did it create or alter a kext that I can delete or repair? I just can't figure out what gives.

Thanks for any help,
Rob

If you think you mis-identified the keyboard, you can always do it again in System Preferences.Keyboard.Change Keyboard Type.

You should also consider installing my Voodoo keyboard/trackpad driver. See: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/77059-after-installing-mountain-lion-hp-probook-optional.html

... you can always... Change Keyboard Type.

You should also consider installing my Voodoo keyboard/trackpad driver

First of all, I did a completely new install (it's becoming rather second-nature now : ) and the functions keys still aren't working. Then I installed version 1.7.6 of VoodooPS2Controller.kext into S/L/E... and the Sound/iTunes function keys are working, but the brightness keys aren't.

Like I said, on my previous install, they would only work after waking from sleep. Now, not at all.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much,
Rob

First of all, I did a completely new install (it's becoming rather second-nature now : ) and the functions keys still aren't working. Then I installed version 1.7.6 of VoodooPS2Controller.kext into S/L/E... and the Sound/iTunes function keys are working, but the brightness keys aren't.

Like I said, on my previous install, they would only work after waking from sleep. Now, not at all.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much,
Rob

Note that with the latest voodoo, the Fn+fkeys and fkeys are swapped... Don't know if you realize that.

But you can run the debug version (check output in Console) to see if you are getting them as scan codes and translated into the appropriate ADB code (90, 91).

And when you say "not working" do you mean no response on the screen, or no change in actual brightness levels. Known problem where the brightness doesn't actually adjust (except for the lowest three levels) until after a display sleep. That much is covered in the FAQ.

Also, do you have a brightness slider in System Preferences.Display?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back