GA-B75M-D3H
CPU
i5-2500K
Graphics
Intel HD3000
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello,

I have in my current storage setup one Fusion Drive with OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB SATA III SSD and the Seagate Barracuda 1 TB ST1000DM003-1CH162 HDD made following this tutorial (http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...ion-drive-using-tonymacx86-tools-chimera.html), but I'm not sure I'm getting full speed on my SSD.

Before I made the Fusion Drive, I've used a disk speed test to measure my SSD speed and see if it could reach near the 550 MB/s read and 520 MB/s that OCZ promises. Happens that with or without the Fusion Drive it reaches only 370.9 MB/s read and 134.8 MB/s write. It's a kext problem, a BIOS configuration problem or what?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-31 at 9.10.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-31 at 9.10.01 PM.png
    896.6 KB · Views: 185
Hello,

I have in my current storage setup one Fusion Drive with OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB SATA III SSD and the Seagate Barracuda 1 TB ST1000DM003-1CH162 HDD made following this tutorial (http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...ion-drive-using-tonymacx86-tools-chimera.html), but I'm not sure I'm getting full speed on my SSD.

Before I made the Fusion Drive, I've used a disk speed test to measure my SSD speed and see if it could reach near the 550 MB/s read and 520 MB/s that OCZ promises. Happens that with or without the Fusion Drive it reaches only 370.9 MB/s read and 134.8 MB/s write. It's a kext problem, a BIOS configuration problem or what?

Thanks!

In general you'll rarely see the speeds in real life that manufactures post because they will cherry pick the best numbers from all of the available tests they do. When you test, you won't run it through a whole series of tests in ideal conditions. Also, you have data on a drive that has been in use for a while, the peak numbers on the drive when it was brand new should be higher.

One trick they used for that drive is measuring compressible data, which if the tool you are using to measure isn't using compressible data, then that would easily account for the difference. Also, if the SSD is more than half full, some will change their behavior in a way that will reduce performance. Those numbers you are getting are fine.

Jean while I wrote the guide for generating fusion drive sets, I do not use that scheme so I do not have any current experience to share. Your performance numbers seem about right to me for a fusion drive set. Your 1 TB drive would probably report about a 100 MBs on both read and write as a standalone drive.

Sorry that I don't have a better answer. I am one of the few that believe the way to go is with dual small fast SSDs in a RAID 0.

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back