Contribute
Register

Full range of brightness using ACPIBacklight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i tried your script with my hp dsdt posted above and it works, i have all levels without sleep/wake cycle but brightness levels are not like in windows

Windows levels are from lowest to highest: 132, 1a4, 218, 2c3, 3a9, 4dc, 66e, 873, b11, e95, 1312

I use dthe right command: ./brightnesspatch 132 1312 but problem remains, also playing with curve, 1, 4, etc.. no changes..

Thanks
Just a hint, the script takes the numbers in decimal, while you are trying to enter hex?

Edit:
I give up RM is always 1st :p

brightnesspatch.sh expects values in decimal not hex.

Maybe you meant: ./brightnesspatch.sh 306 4882

Ouch, i try now.. thanks

Edit: it works, now it's all good and corrected

Just a hint, the script takes the numbers in decimal, while you are trying to enter hex?

Edit:
I give up RM is always 1st :p

Thanks for help, now it's more clear. I had wrong beliefs about "like windows"..

Hey guys... update to these patches...

Based on what I found out here, https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch, I was able to come up with a generic set of data that works on both the HD3000 and HD4000. Instead of using a custom range for each laptop based on what we see in Windows, I just use the OS X range, 0-0x710.

This has the nice side effect of less "fighting" between the drivers at startup. And it means you no longer have to determine your data range at all using RW-Everything on Windows.

The instructions for patching remain the same. Apply "ACPI backlight control" first. "Brightness data (generic)" second. Then install ACPIBacklight.kext.

For those that can build ACPIBacklight.kext, I have a new feature there. If you set XOPT to 1 in the DSDT data patch, you can turn off the smooth transitions (but still allow levels between the levels called out by _BCL). The default is XOPT set to zero (you will see it set in the patches to 0, and if it is omitted, the default is zero). Other bits in XOPT are reserved for future use.

At any rate, it is now so dead simple that it could go into the ProBook Installer.

Note: It is also likely completely generic to any HD3000/HD4000 laptop. I'll be adding these patches to my main laptop repo (as well as a Haswell version).

Attachments

• ProBook 4340s.zip
    399.7 KB · Views: 70
Bug is fixed. Please try latest patches. Problem was it was setting level 1. Very low and on my display looks like off.

There it is. You sure you don't want iojones file?

I like IORegistryExplorer better (better searching).

BTW, the steps on bar 3 and bar 2 are equal, I've noticed it, reducing the brightness to zero.

The data could still use work. And I think the 4x40s screens are really bad, not responsive to many levels. Levels probably need to be hand-picked. I used nguyenmac's script to generate the data but struggled to get it to generate the curve I wanted. But now that we have only to come up with one data set (well, for HD3K/HD4K... different set for Haswell), we can fine tune...

Does anyone have a 4540s with 1080p (AUOv4?) upgrade for testing? I'll have one later, but not right now. It would be nice to know if it is the screen or the hardware in the laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back