Contribute
Register

Full range of brightness using ACPIBacklight

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks RehabMan :clap: now super brightness also dim brightness . now i use ACPIBacklight. kext PWD uplod that one correct ?

I will eventually upload my own ACPIBacklight after I fix a few things... A long while back I actually captured the dev history on this kext in git (locally only), just so I could see clearly the changes. Version #1 from hotKoffy and then there was a fix provided by fxtentacle which deals correctly with the fact that the osx range is always 0x400. So, I'm using the one with the fix from fxtentacle (built from sources on my machine). I haven't looked at or used the one that pwd posted.

I may review the original thread, to see if anyone else has provided any fixes since then, incorporate those... then...

... on top of that, I'll implement a few more features and fixes... later...

I tried the latest patch in repo, and I think it's nice now. I got the brightest level without using blink screen, but after sleep, last 5 levels are the same. The lowest level still turns off display, but I prefer this way.

I can get same levels for both before/after blink screen with the patch here.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...rightness-using-acpibacklight.html#post723012

I think the patch will remove the need of blinkscreen.

I tried the latest patch in repo, and I think it's nice now. I got the brightest level without using blink screen, but after sleep, last 5 levels are the same. The lowest level still turns off display, but I prefer this way.

I can get same levels for both before/after blink screen with the patch here.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...rightness-using-acpibacklight.html#post723012

I think the patch will remove the need of blinkscreen.

I'll have to see if I can notice any difference between before/after sleep on either of my two machines. So far, I haven't, but I'm probably not paying that much attention. If something needs to happen after wake, I will add some code in ACPIBacklight to call a WAK method inside of PNLF. That would keep everything isolated from the rest of the DSDT.

The lowest level is designed to turn off the display. It is how Macs work.

Have you verified your data ranges/steps from Windows (in Rw-Everything)?

I'll have to see if I can notice any difference between before/after sleep on either of my two machines. So far, I haven't, but I'm probably not paying that much attention. If something needs to happen after wake, I will add some code in ACPIBacklight to call a WAK method inside of PNLF. That would keep everything isolated from the rest of the DSDT.

The lowest level is designed to turn off the display. It is how Macs work.

Have you verified your data ranges/steps from Windows (in Rw-Everything)?

I'm not sure if I'm doing things wrong, my values are strange:
Capture.PNG

I used Fn+Brightness key and only get 11 values, do I need to drag the slider slowly to get all? (more than 21 then)

88, BF, 111, 18C, 230, 318, 35E, 438, 5A9, 795, A25, D9F

I have made some more changes to the patches for acpi brightness/backlight.

There is now two patches you need to use, from their own group.

First, there is the main patch containing the methods: "ACPI Backlight Control". Next, there is one of two patches you must apply depending on your laptop: "Brightness data (4x30s)" or "Brightness data (4x40s)". So the process for installing is:
1. apply "ACPI Backlight Control" patch
2. apply "Brightness data (xxxx)" patch depending on your computer
3. install ACPIBacklight.kext

The 4x40s data is constructed from the data I gathered from Rw-Everything. I then plotted the data on a graph, and used the data to generate a rough curve. I then fixed the data where it didn't conform well to a curve, then used it to generate 64 different levels (roughly) along the curve (I wrote a little program to do this). The result is the 64 levels you see in the patch.

Next, I'm going to do the same corrections to the 4530s data. It is relatively easy, now that I have the program which generates the data. The only manual work is adjusting the original data to better track the curve. After that, I'll start to do some work on the ACPIBacklight.kext and put the result up on github.

Note: You can remove blinkscreen as it isn't necessary anymore.

I've been reading this new topic up to this point, and really need to ask a dummies noob question. How to remove the 'blink screen' or any other stuff installed by the PBI? thanks!

also, is it that much difference in (max) brightness on the 4x30s?

I've been choosing the 100% brightness level (in the PBI) and I like the cool color balance and overall brightness. the picture text and images and videos look pretty good for what the hardware and software combo (osx) IMO as good or better than win7/win8.

I'm not sure if I'm doing things wrong, my values are strange:
View attachment 76566

I used Fn+Brightness key and only get 11 values, do I need to drag the slider slowly to get all? (more than 21 then)

88, BF, 111, 18C, 230, 318, 35E, 438, 5A9, 795, A25, D9F

You may be using a different version of the HP hotkey app. Or there is BIOS differences (if that hotkey app uses ACPI at all).

But the ranges are similar, so it doesn't much matter where the particular points are at (or how many there are). Comparing them to my numbers, they are not far off, so the curve is probably very similar as well.

Here are the values from my 4540s:
0xcd, 0xe8, 0x148, 0x1de, 0x2ab, 0x3ca, 0x4e9, 0x668, 0x75c, 0x839, 0xaa0, 0xd9f

how to remove blinkscreen?

I've been reading this new topic up to this point, and really need to ask a dummies noob question. How to remove the 'blink screen' or any other stuff installed by the PBI? thanks!

Code:
sudo rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.rehabman.blinkscreen.plist

also, is it that much difference in (max) brightness on the 4x30s?

I've been choosing the 100% brightness level (in the PBI) and I like the cool color balance and overall brightness. the picture text and images and videos look pretty good for what the hardware and software combo (osx) IMO as good or better than win7/win8.

Most of that is very subjective. You should try it and come to your own conclusions.

Code:
sudo rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.rehabman.blinkscreen.plist

Most of that is very subjective. You should try it and come to your own conclusions.

what is the latest REPO link for Probook 4x30s in MaciASL...cant see the brightness patch

You may be using a different version of the HP hotkey app. Or there is BIOS differences (if that hotkey app uses ACPI at all).

But the ranges are similar, so it doesn't much matter where the particular points are at (or how many there are). Comparing them to my numbers, they are not far off, so the curve is probably very similar as well.

Here are the values from my 4540s:
0xcd, 0xe8, 0x148, 0x1de, 0x2ab, 0x3ca, 0x4e9, 0x668, 0x75c, 0x839, 0xaa0, 0xd9f

I usually use 90% brightness, and I'm satisfied with value in your 4540s patch. I think only 2 problems remain are: different levels before/after sleep and save brightness setting to nvram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back