Contribute
Register

Full range of brightness using ACPIBacklight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I didn't notice the change in DSDT patches. It works much perfect now, I really like the effect, and the leves are the same between before-after display sleep. However, the top brightness level is not as bright as the last patch. How can I inject my brightness values in DSDT?

Which brightness data are you using? The top level is the same as before (651 for 4x30s, 3487 for 4x40s). The top brightness level could be higher in both cases (especially on the 4x30s)... eventually I'll calibrate against my MBA.

You can play with the raw values using 'ioio' as described a few posts back...

RehabMan thanks for your hard work. :) I downloaded the kext and installed it. do we need to repatch the DSDT to make it work?

RehabMan thanks for your hard work. :) I downloaded the kext and installed it. do we need to repatch the DSDT to make it work?

You can add the necessary patches to your existing DSDT using MaciASL and the repo: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch

You will see a new group "== ACPI Backlight Control ==" for these patches. Select first the "ACPI Backlight Control" patch, then the data appropriate for your hardware. You can swap data out without re-applying the main patch.

Which brightness data are you using? The top level is the same as before (651 for 4x30s, 3487 for 4x40s). The top brightness level could be higher in both cases (especially on the 4x30s)... eventually I'll calibrate against my MBA.

You can play with the raw values using 'ioio' as described a few posts back...

Sorry RehabMan, look like it's just my illusion... I tried higher values with same result.

Sorry RehabMan, look like it's just my illusion... I tried higher values with same result.

Note that the values are capped by DSDT. You need to edit the DSDT to go higher.

Note:
Code:
    Method (XBCM, 1, NotSerialized)\n
    {\n
        // initialize for consistent backlight level before/after sleep\n
        Store (0x80000000, LEVW)\n
    	Store (KLVX, LEVX)\n
        // store new backlight level\n
        [B]//If (LGreater(Arg0, XRGH)) { Store(XRGH, Arg0) }\n[/B]
        If (LLess(Arg0, XRGL)) { Store(XRGL, Arg0) }\n
        Store(0x80000000, LEV2)\n
        Store(Arg0, LEVL)\n
    }\n

You could also edit the value of KLVXXRGH in the data patch instead of the XBCM code...

This is mentioned in post #58.

Note that the values are capped by DSDT. You need to edit the DSDT to go higher.

Note:
Code:
    Method (XBCM, 1, NotSerialized)\n
    {\n
        // initialize for consistent backlight level before/after sleep\n
        Store (0x80000000, LEVW)\n
        Store (KLVX, LEVX)\n
        // store new backlight level\n
        [B]//If (LGreater(Arg0, XRGH)) { Store(XRGH, Arg0) }\n[/B]
        If (LLess(Arg0, XRGL)) { Store(XRGL, Arg0) }\n
        Store(0x80000000, LEV2)\n
        Store(Arg0, LEVL)\n
    }\n

You could also edit the value of KLVX in the data patch instead of the XBCM code...

Yes, I removed that, still the same highest brightness. Thank you.

Are you using 4x30s data or 4x40s data?

I use 4x40s. My highest values in Windows is 3487. I think the new smooth effect makes me think it's not as bright as before, while it's actually.

My first impression feedback:
with 4x40s; gets brighter, the transitions at low brightness are a bit "flickery"
with 4x30s; nice transactions even at low brightness but it doesn't get as bright

So for me ideally would be 4x30s with a bit higher and steeper top brightness curve.

Just firs impressions, will test more and give you more feedback, but so far great progress.
:clap:

My first impression feedback:
with 4x40s; gets brighter, the transitions at low brightness are a bit "flickery"

Yes, as noted in post #58. Seems to be a hardware issue in 4x40s. The kext/DSDT is not setting "flickery" values, yet the screen still flickers during those transitions.

with 4x30s; nice transactions even at low brightness but it doesn't get as bright. So for me ideally would be 4x30s with a bit higher and steeper top brightness curve.

Also noted previously... the max 651 (came from Windows) value for 4x30s can be pushed higher.

The steepness of the 4x30s curve is already too steep, but could be higher (and at the low end... lower), for an overall wider range.

Just firs impressions, will test more and give you more feedback, but so far great progress.
:clap:

I'd be interested in what you find for a "reasonable" range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back