Contribute
Register

Full range of brightness using ACPIBacklight

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, I see google has stopped allowing downloads, so I've got to find a service to migrate the downloads (first github did it a while ago, and now google).

Maybe bitbucket...

The data I have in there now is based on data extracted under Windows using the brightness keys, plotting it on a graph, smoothing the curve out, then generating 64 levels along the resulting curve (well, along the lines connecting the points in the graph). If I find some good curve fitting/plotting software I'll try to generate better data.

I plotted points from my Windows data and interpolated a curve using the Interpolate function of WolframAlpha. Interpolating all 22 points from the Windows data presented me with a too complicated curve, so I left there only 6 points (every 4th point), and got the curve from that. You could also use Wolfram Mathematica to approximate the curve using Interpolate with a small InterpolationOrder, so the resulting function would be an approximation of the data.
When I got the curve, I adjusted it so the value at x=0 was 0 and the value at x=64 was 1600 (my maximum for my 4530s display).

Using this method I got this function (and points): goo.gl/5xsM3W. I'm using it now and the steps are mostly even, really better than before. It could use some minor adjustments here and there, but it is far from necessary.

I plotted points from my Windows data and interpolated a curve using the Interpolate function of WolframAlpha. Interpolating all 22 points from the Windows data presented me with a too complicated curve, so I left there only 6 points (every 4th point), and got the curve from that. You could also use Wolfram Mathematica to approximate the curve using Interpolate with a small InterpolationOrder, so the resulting function would be an approximation of the data.
When I got the curve, I adjusted it so the value at x=0 was 0 and the value at x=64 was 1600 (my maximum for my 4530s display).

Using this method I got this function (and points): goo.gl/5xsM3W. I'm using it now and the steps are mostly even, really better than before. It could use some minor adjustments here and there, but it is far from necessary.

I figured Wolfram could be used for this, but I've never really used it and so didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure out how it works.

I have made a build for ACPIBacklight.kext available. Google code has discontinued the "Downloads" service, so I have used bitbucket instead. Eventually, I'll move all my downloads to bitbucket.

See README.md, main page on github for links: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Backlight

I have made a build for ACPIBacklight.kext available. Google code has discontinued the "Downloads" service, so I have used bitbucket instead. Eventually, I'll move all my downloads to bitbucket.

See README.md, main page on github for links: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Backlight
I didn't follow much the development of this, so idk if it is supposed to work on the 6470b or if it has any other extra requirements, but as it is for now it stops the brightens control keys from functioning.

I didn't follow much the development of this, so idk if it is supposed to work on the 6470b or if it has any other extra requirements, but as it is for now it stops the brightens control keys from functioning.

You have to apply "ACPI Backlight control" + "Brightness data(4x40s)" or "Brightness data(4x30s)" and install the kext to make it work.

You should probably read through this thread.

You should probably read through this thread.

Very nice, the "acpi-backlight-level" value is changed along with brightness value, and it's saved after restart.

The difference between brightness before and after display sleep is still there though. Again, thank you for your hard work.

The difference between brightness before and after display sleep is still there though. Again, thank you for your hard work.

I don't see any difference. Make sure you have current patches (the ones that write to LEVX at every XBCM).

I don't see any difference. Make sure you have current patches (the ones that write to LEVX at every XBCM).

Sorry, I didn't notice the change in DSDT patches. It works much perfect now, I really like the effect, and the leves are the same between before-after display sleep. However, the top brightness level is not as bright as the last patch. How can I inject my brightness values in DSDT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back