Contribute
Register

[Full Guide] Dell Inspiron 15 7548 UHD - Big Sur - OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
is your dvmt set higher than 64mb?
Actually no, it’s at 64mb. If I were to set it to 128mb, should I also patch the framebuffer to match those 128mb? And in that case what values would those be?

I’m asking because I already tried changing the dvmt value with no success, but maybe is the framebuffer setting that also needs changing, as the total memory stolen is 56mb.

have you tied using the discrete GPU?
And for this, I don’t have any idea how to make it work. All the guides say that discrete switching graphics for laptops are not supported.

Thanks for the help!

Great job!!!!

I have a Lenovo Yoga 460 and the only thing missing is the touchscreen working... does your Dell have this USB device? Does it have sleep problems?
Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 6.51.29 PM.png

does your Dell have this USB device?
Yes it does, under the name of Touchscreen (not pen and multitouch sensor).

Does it have sleep problems?
I haven't tested it for sleep, the main issue was battery related though. It consumes a lot of unnecessary power.

I have a Lenovo Yoga 460 and the only thing missing is the touchscreen working...
I got mine working by mapping the USB and installing the Touchpad kexts as per post 3.

Try to find out which type of device is, if ELAN, HID... Then I would recommend create the USB map, and install the proper VoodooI2C satellite kexts.

Thank you for your response :) I will try to follow your guide.
My touchscreen device is Wacom, as shown in my screenshot. I will reboot to Windows and Linux to see what they look like.
when you write "As the EHC1 device returns content apply the attached HECI-Patch.plist", what do you mean?

Last edited:
when you write "As the EHC1 device returns content apply the attached HECI-Patch.plist", what do you mean?

The reason we need these ACPI renames are due to conflicting with Apple's own USB map.

If the checked iOSService returns something, it means the device is loaded (something we do not want to avoid conflicts).

Anyway, here is the link to the original post for more info.

This is a fantastic guide. Would you know if this would work on a Dell 15-3567 not a touch screen. I have Catalina now without any mods to ACPI files just stock aml ones. Using voodooPS2 never had any luck configuring I2C. Much of the modifications you have done to the dsl files I did not have to do on that laptop for example battery just using files from virtualSMC no modifications. Also SSDT-SBUS-MCHC I didn’t change anything just used stock aml file and when I run the terminal command I see the two SMBUS files seem fine. Also the SSDT-Plug using default aml file I see CPU0 not sure what you mean remove all other entries, are you referring to remove sections that do not have anything in them other than CPU0 such as PR00 C000 P000 PR00 CP00 and SCK0? Only customized USB using hackintool and only added one DeviceProperty for display. CFG is off by default but I will verify. I am on OpenCore6.6 so bootstrap no longer there it’s replaced with LauncherOption=Full equivalent to Bootprotect=Bootstrap in OC 0.6.5. I have disabled in mine. Looks like VerifyMsrE2.EFI no longer available? Since I don’t have AppleXcpmCfgLock enabled and I boot without kernel panic I’ll assume my CFG is unlocked. Finally not too sure about IRQ conflicts using SSDTTime. I don’t have a DSDT right now but using SSDTTIme requires DSDT no? I don’t really want to have a DSDT.aml in my OC config. Is there a shortened SSDT we can use for this instead? Again not using this and I am not seeing any issues with CPU temperature or PM for me average 36c. Let me know what you think, thanks!

Edited:

I went ahead and did the HPET patching sorry it was easy was over thinking this part but I have not seen any issuses when I was not using it in Catalina what issues could arise without it? Also Hackintool generates and dumps a clean native ACPI files not sure how it can do this while booted into MacOS especially when DSDT is already somewhat patched while booted into OS.

The only thing I can think of issues would be at times I noticed latencies or freezing of the mouse or screen would take several seconds to go away if this is the kind of thing that the HPET fix will take care of I can let you know I hope it does fix this issue.

ProperTree is really kewl it seems to add all of your SSDT's, Drivers and Kexts ready made with Paths etc then you just copy them as Childs to your Config.plist this is nice. Will it just add them to the Config.plist if I point it to that or will that make a mess of it?

Last edited:
Thanks, glad to help!
So let's break everything down to parts.

Would you know if this would work on a Dell 15-3567 not a touch screen. I have Catalina now without any mods to ACPI files just stock aml ones.
I can't assure you that will work, each laptop has its own issues. And as for the ACPI files the correct stock ones work just great, they only add booting time (almost nothing) and unneeded code.

Using voodooPS2 never had any luck configuring I2C
I can only recommend installing VoodooI2C, disabling VoodooPS2Mouse and VoodooPS2Trackpad kext plugins, and see if it works with the SSDT-XOSI patch. If it does, then try the GPI0 patch, but be warned each patch is laptop specific.

Much of the modifications you have done to the dsl files I did not have to do on that laptop for example battery just using files from virtualSMC no modifications. Also SSDT-SBUS-MCHC I didn’t change anything just used stock aml file and when I run the terminal command I see the two SMBUS files seem fine.
Some modifications are only to improve performance and remove unnecessary patching. You are lucky the battery and SMBUS worked OOTB, there is no need to patch then.

Also the SSDT-Plug using default aml file I see CPU0 not sure what you mean remove all other entries, are you referring to remove sections that do not have anything in them other than CPU0 such as PR00 C000 P000 PR00 CP00 and SCK0?
Yes.

I was not using it in Catalina what issues could arise without it?
Build stability and panics. Sometimes audio won't work without it.

As for the rest, I highly recommend reading the guides over and over. This way you understand what is needed to do in order to make your hack work. There is no need to rush it, read, re-read, and google a lot.
There some useful posts here and a lot of information here.

Hope it helps

Hi! Great guide! Do you get graphics acceleration? I am on a XPS 9343 with a 4k internal display and a HD 5500. But it seems impossible to get it to work with graphics acceleration :(
Been reading here: https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/1024
Seems like this is a problem on all 4k internal displays?

Hi! Great guide! Do you get graphics acceleration? I am on a XPS 9343 with a 4k internal display and a HD 5500. But it seems impossible to get it to work with graphics acceleration
Been reading here: https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/1024
Seems like this is a problem on all 4k internal displays?

I do have acceleration working with the 4K internal screen. Some things that might work out are:

- Adding enable-max-pixel-clock-override config
- Patching framebuffer
- Different platform-id
- Adding necessary configurations from here
- Here is a post about the alternatives for cdfon (if you already had internal screen working on Catalina)

These are generic fixes though, without the reporting files it is difficult to see what is actually needed. Despite that, those recommendations are a good starting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back