Contribute
Register

Full Acceleration for Intel HD 3000 and older NVIDIA Graphics in macOS Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
NVIDIA Geforce 930M driver

For HD3000, I have installed 16th release. It is working just fine. Apps are not crashing anymore which was the case with 17th. I am so happy.
10.15.5 here

I don't think so. I tested on my Gigabyte P55M-UD2 - Core i5-750 - NVIDIA 9400 GT (built in 2009!!) Had to boot with NVIDIA Inject = True.

Here are the relevant screenshots:

View attachment 445533
View attachment 445534
Bro can u please help me.... I'm stuck with 9400 gt. I'm not able to make it work properly... I'm a beginner too....can u please tell me how to do it with detailed...

Bro can u please help me.... I'm stuck with 9400 gt. I'm not able to make it work properly... I'm a beginner too....can u please tell me how to do it with detailed...
The GeForce 9400 GT was a graphics card by NVIDIA, launched in August 2008. Built on the 80 nm process
This card is probably too old for Catalina to get decent graphics performance, even with this method of enabling HD3000 and older Nvidia cards. Buy a newer supported card that has metal support. The DDR3 GT 710 cards work with Catalina and have full metal support. Works OOB with no tinkering with Catalina to make it work.

Here's the specs of a GT 710 vs. the 9400 GT
Screen Shot 13.jpg

Screen Shot 14.jpg

A brand new MSI fanless 1GB GT 710 sells for around 36 dollars on Amazon. IMO worth paying a little to run Catalina with better than bare minumum 12 year old bottom of the barrel specs graphics card.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082QWG5J9/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. Will check it. btw i managed to make it work in Mojave and its somewhat ok

After installing 10.15.2 from Unibeast, I did the rough update to 10.15.4 under Clover 5102.
Was eventually able to reboot successfully repeatedly with 1024x768 resolution.

Built the Legacy-Video-patch-16 package (watch the video) and installed it successfully. Didn’t know to run any Pre or Post scripts. (Where is the documentation for this process? Or are the Pre and Post scripts just automatically built into the Package installer?)

After installing the package and rebooting, I get a slow boot progress bar at 2/3 completion. Waited forever, but it nudges along until full and then just sits there.

Booted Verbose to see what was going on, see an endlessly repeating AMFI error. I searched for and found this same thread and Peterhack’s posts. Peter, where are the boot arguments discussed? How did you learn about them? I saw your general description AMFI link, but does the patch author discuss this issue offsite? Do you have a link?

Was able to boot successfully with long argument string:
-v -no_compat_check amfi_get_out_of_my_way=0x1 amfi_allow_any_signature=0x1 cs_enforcement_disable=0x1
(these are divided with spaces, not hard returns.)

After successfully booting into 1920x1080 accelerated HD3000 graphics, I ran the Post Repair bash script in Terminal (right click open with...) it fails. (I suspect because it needs to run as Sudo, but I don’t know how to load it with sudo.)

So I open the .script file and it opens in Script Editor and does nothing. I realize I have to click the Play icon in the Script Editor program.

I deleted the existing com.apple.security.libraryvalidation.plist file already there, then hit the Play icon in Script Editor and it creates a new com.apple.security.libraryvalidation.plist file in Volume/Library/Preferences/.
Inside the .plist it says:
<key>DisableLibraryValidation</key>
<true/>

I rebooted. Same slow progress bar at 2/3’s to infinity. AMFI seems to be ignoring the com.apple.security.libraryvalidation.plist. :(

Will reboot with the long boot argument then, and then download the DisableLibraryValidation.kext and see if that gets me booting. Peterhack, where did this .kext come from?

Placing the DisableLibraryValidation.kext from peterhack's post in EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other and rebooting allows the Mac to boot successfully in 1920x1080! :) Verified with multiple Restarts.

I followed your guide exactly when I ran into the AMFI denying core dump issue. Except I am running a freshly installed 10.15.6 and a freshly built v17 of the patch, but I'm only getting HD2000 with this same motherboard you have with just integrated graphics. :confused:

I also have the same issue with seeing clover twice that @tonymacx86 mentions::

Just tested on my CustoMac Mini GA-H67N-USB3-B3 - i3 2105 - HD 3000.

1. All you have to do is install the latest AppleALC.kext and Lilu.kext then (for Clover) edit config.plist to change Devices/Audio/Inject to 3, then HDMI audio works for either HDMI port.

2. I'm also having an issue where initially the Clover boot screen is 1024x768, and no hard drives show. If I press Exit Clover it reboots Clover boot screen with 1080p and shows drives and automatically boots successfully.

Hello:
I use my custom kext for run Catalina in my old MBP 2011.

This computer have a fail dGPU as a lot MBP of that year. But now can say don't matter at all.

If you can see: appears 1536 Mb associated to the SandyBridge GPU. All works fine but with some issues in some apps:

Photos do not show All Photos. iMovie do not show preview. And Keynote freeze when try play a presentation.

I want ask. Have you solve that?

Regards.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-01 at 12.48.11.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-01 at 12.48.11.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 103
Hello:

I tested this installer and tell do not change any thing in my Mac except less VRAM. My custom kext left my MBP with 1536 Mb and after your installation drop to 512 Mb.

The issues I detected are present as well, then your solution do not help me.

Thanks.

I attached the kext I use with better result.

Attachments

• Patched.zip
    492.2 KB · Views: 107
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back