Contribute
Register

Full Acceleration for Intel HD 3000 and older NVIDIA Graphics in macOS Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been a long time since i've visited this site for information since my Mavericks CustoMac has been good to me for years. I am now interested in the same as Bruce up there. Im running the Intel HD3000 as well (i7-2600). Its gonna a fun project i hope

It is a good option for people with older systems that can’t afford a new graphics card for now and allows them to get the only new customer available software versions Mojave and Catalina.

Browsing works fine and it’s much better than the clownhouse low resolution of completely unsupported vesa drivers.

Yes, that's true. For the people who have suitable older graphics hardware and are unable / unwilling to get a supported AMD card, this patch should work for the time being. But it still requires a working installation of Mojave or Catalina, correct?

Yes, that's true. For the people who have suitable older graphics hardware and are unable / unwilling to get a supported AMD card, this patch should work for the time being. But it still requires a working installation of Mojave or Catalina, correct?

Yes, you can update with the card using nv_disable=1 you end up with giant icons and it’s laggy until you run the patch. If all you need it for is browsing it’s a cool option.

Once you run it though AMD cards or at least my RX 460 and RX 5600xt go to black screen, so you would have to update or keep a set of all the original Kexts to replace for it to work.

The most useful part is for HD3000 graphics IMO. I don’t have any systems with that but a lot of older laptops can enjoy the latest OSX.

Just updated my Gigabyte P55M-UD2 - Core i5-750 - NVIDIA 9400 GT system from 10.15.2 with Legacy Video Patch to 10.15.3. Figured I'd test it out.

Not recommended- here's what I thought would work, but didn't in my case.

1. Install 10.15.3 normally
2. On final reboot press spacebar and choose nv_disable=1 to boot NVIDIA in VESA mode
3. Reapply Legacy Video Patch
4. Reboot to 10.15.3

System is unbootable- won't launch Legacy Video pkg. If not booting with nv_disable, the system kernel panics and automatically reboots before getting to the desktop.

Just updated my Gigabyte P55M-UD2 - Core i5-750 - NVIDIA 9400 GT system from 10.15.2 with Legacy Video Patch to 10.15.3. Figured I'd test it out.

Not recommended- here's what I thought would work, but didn't in my case.

1. Install 10.15.3 normally
2. On final reboot press spacebar and choose nv_disable=1 to boot NVIDIA in VESA mode
3. Reapply Legacy Video Patch
4. Reboot to 10.15.3

System is unbootable- won't launch Legacy Video pkg. If not booting with nv_disable, the system kernel panics and automatically reboots before getting to the desktop.

did you try boot arg. no_compat_check

did you try boot arg. no_compat_check

Just tried it- same behavior as before. Last resort I'm gonna yank the drive and hook it up to another system to apply the patch. Will report back.

EDIT: Tried installing via another system USB > SATA. Still kernel panics and reboots.

Last edited:
OK did a clean install of 10.15.3 then applied Legacy Video patch. Both Intel HD 3000 and NVIDIA 9400 GT seem to work as well in 10.15.3 as in 10.15.2.

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 10.16.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 10.25.22 AM.png

Once you run it though AMD cards or at least my RX 460 and RX 5600xt go to black screen, so you would have to update or keep a set of all the original Kexts to replace for it to work.
I ran this patch installer on an older Q77 system with HD4000 graphics (to test out a GT 210 card.) After a reboot, without the 210 installed (where did I put that darn card?) the HD4000 graphics were rendered mostly unusable. It was only on a test partition so no big deal. Just a warning, if you apply these patches to a system with working, Catalina supported Intel HD graphics, they won't work after you reboot. This implies HD4000, HD4600, HD5000 etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back