Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Fujitsu Esprimo P400 + High Sierra - Slow Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Taclino

I doubt it's the slower CPU that's causing slower boot for you. Your CPU is only ≈25% slower than mine (according to cpubenchmark.net) but it takes you ≈90 to 150% (8 mins vs 15-20 mins) longer to boot.

Do you remember changing something about ram that made the boot process "successful"? About CPU?
You mean because I was also stuck at End RandomSeed at first? Maybe it succeeded because I switched to UniBeast. I first tried "to do it myself" using Clover installer. But I can't remember. It's been half a year.

I wonder if the problem is caused by any graphics issue. The reason is that on the verbose output, everything but "FinalizeBootStruct" is ended, and BootStruct contains, as far as I now, not only information about RAM, but also about graphics and a lot more. Now there are two things that made me think it might be graphics related:

1. I have a completely unsupported iGPU (Intel HD 2000) and yours (Intel 1st gen HD Graphics) I believe is at least not supported out of the box. Though I disabled the iGPU in the UEFI (you did too?).

2. Although my GTX 770 is supposed to have an UEFI compatible video BIOS, I cannot disable CSM once this GPU is installed. But according to the resolution of the Windows boot screen it is in fact used in UEFI mode. Do you now if your GPU is UEFI capable?

Maybe it's also worth playing a little bit the Drop OEM_DSM options or to renaming all _DSM->XDSM instead. We'll see.

Of course this graphics and Drop OEM_DSM stuff is purely hypothetical so far.

Best regards
Luka

Last edited:
Hi Luka,

I actually tried to make the installation with UNIBEAST, but did not succeed until I copied your EFI folder.

For sure there is a problem with graphics on my side: the dock isn't transparent (it's grey) in MacOs, and safari top bar (where you see your open internet pages) is really messed up. I don't even really know why is that. If you have an idea, tell me ! I think i disabled my IGPU in BIOS... I can't remember.I will tell you this week end about it. But is it even possible to boot an OS without GPU AND IGPU ? I want to make my graphic card ( ATI Radeon HD7450) work though and my IGPU (Intel HD Graphics) too.Will have to figure that out. And maybe it will fix that slow boot issue as you said.

However i really don't know if my graphic card is UEFI compatible. I found some documentation about it but didn't see anything. I am really not a pro with graphics, i still don't know how i should work around with my IGPU and with my ATI HD7350 to make them work.

We'll have to see, I actually think that it could also come from the graphics... However it would be great if graphics and slow boot was only one issue for me. But what about your's ? Are graphics working in MacOS? Are you seeing a "grey dock"?

Thank you for your help ,

Taclino

Hi Taclino,

I guess you tried Unibeast for Mojave, right? That didn't work for me as well, therefore I stayed with Unibeast for High Sierra.

The reason of the grey dock and the artifact in safari is that graphics acceleration is not enabled (yet). Your graphics situation might be a hard one, but I'm not familiar with it. I always tried to use GPUs which were easy to configure (like HD 5770, GTX 770, GTX 960, all three worked fine so far, though I believe the HD 5770 is not supported in Mojave anymore). You may try Lilu.kext and WhatEverGreen.kext (install both to Library/Extensions/). If that doesn't work I'm not sure what to do. Maybe your Graphics is not supported at all or only in an earlier macOS due to the metal requirement in Mojave. I made a quick google search but did find barely anything.

If you have Windows installed, you can use CPU-Z to see if your GPU is UEFI capable.

What else issues do you get?

Btw my system didn't boot up with 2 GB of RAM installed, but 4 GB worked and it took as long as usual (8 minutes).

Did you ever get an error related to the kernel cache?

Luka

Hi luka,

First, I am really sorry I didn’t to reply to your message faster, but I first did not find any solution. However, I just found out how to make the boot process faster!

Here is the fix (at least for me): after you told me you couldn’t disable CSM in the BIOS, I saw that mine was’nt disables either... what a shame... disabling it just made the boot last 30 - 45 sec ...

However, it is bad your graphic card does’nt let you disable it when connected! I really don’t know about graphic card at all though...

For graphics issues, I decided to buy a cheap GT 740 from internet, so I can get everything to work. Audio is doing greate with Voodoo HDA and I also upgraded RAM with 2 more GB so now I have 4 GB, and Mac OS is almost working full way and there is only a few lag since graphics are not supported for now.

However I don’t know if it is possible for you to disable CSM, and I wonder if it is going to be the case for me when I will install the new graphic card

Again sorry for that late reply and hope this will solve your problem...

Taclino

Hi Taclino,

great to hear there is some success! I'll try to enable my iGPU and set it to be the primary graphics adaptor. Maybe I then can disable CSM. Not sure how to configure that in macOS though, as like I said my iGPU is not supported. Perhaps I going to upgrade to a Core i5 2500K for it's supported Intel HD3000 (could also use the four native cores for gaming and it's not that expensive). In addition, I'll check for a vBIOS update for the GTX 770 that might allow me to disable CSM.

As for Audio, I used AppleALC because Voodoo HDA is said to have bad audio quality (I experienced that myself on a different machine a while ago). It's easy, if you want to try: install Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext and inject audio layout-id 3 (if I recall correctly) in Clover Configurator. If you want I can you give more details about that next weekend.

Luka

Hi Taclino,

disabling CSM did the job for me, too! I had to set the iGPU as primary, save and reset, disable CSM, save and reset, disable iGPU again, save and reset. Since then, it works perfectly fine.

Thanks a lot for the hint!

Luka

Last edited:
Hi Luka,

I didn't see your last reply! I am very happy I helped with that! I had to do the same since my new graphic card wasn't letting me disable CSM in BIOS. I plugged my old one, disable CSM and then plugged my new GT740 back in and tadaaa! Everything works great now

However I still have one question: if I want to speed up my Hackintosh, would it be be better for me to add more ram (I have 4GB right now but all slot are full so I would have to buy 4GB sticks *2 ) or to upgrade to a 2500k intel processor as you said? My graphics are fully working with acceleration and Quartz.

Although Mac OS is still very fast for such low level hardware pieces.

Thank you and very happy I helped!

Hi Taclino

sorry, I didn't see your last reply neither, for some reason I didn't get an e-mail notification.

I assume you have already an SSD? If not, that's the thing to buy most likely.

You can use Activity Monitor (see How to use Activity Monitor on your Mac) to determine whether RAM or CPU is the bottleneck.

If more RAM or a faster CPU makes sense depends on your workload. If you use multiple apps simultaneously, RAM can fill up very fast. Web browsers do often consume a lot of RAM as well. Which app(s) is it that you want to speed up?

BTW, if you don't need an iGPU you could also go for an i5 2500 non-K (little cheaper). Stock frequency is the same and our H61 Mainboards are not capable of overclocking. I don't know if the Intel HD 3000 if the 2500K is yet supported by Mojave anyway.

Best regards
Luka

PS: remember to update your profile (GT740)

Hi!

I don’t have an ssd yet. I will upgrade shortly though! After some searches on internet it is indeed what I need (slow app launching, etc.)

I just wanted to speed up the launching of apps (safari for example) the boot time, and etc think a ssd is the way to go !

I don’t need graphics your right, but intel i5 2500K is easier to find on internet (used) and cheaper actually (at least in France)... I don’t want to spend a ton of money on that build that was supposed to be a cheap one (I mean it still is) so I consider only buying used parts. I already have a Mc Book pro that do the job perfectly. However that is a big surprise how that computer is doing perfectly great with MacOS, and I am very impressed by how it is fast compared to windows ! It was a great experience building my first (successful) hackintosh and your help was very appreciated !! Thank you a lot ! You can still contact me with private message if you have a question! By the way, did you upgrade to Mojave ?

Best,

Taclino

For anyone who wants to turn a Fujitsu P400 into a hackintosh, attached to this post is the latest EFI that I use to boot Mojave.

These are the kexts I installed to Library/Extensions/

FakeSMC.kext
Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext to make audio work
RealtekRTL8111.kext to make Ethernet work

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi Taclino,

unfortunately I cannot PM you because I didn't write enough posts (75 are required) yet.

So yes, I upgraded to Mojave and it runs pretty decent, so I guess after moving to a SSD you will like it, too (again, my CPU isn't much faster than yours).

I love that SSDs are really cheap these days. 5 years ago I paid 110 € for an 120 GB one, today you can get 1TB for the same price, and 250 GB are so cheap that I wouldn't even bother buying one of the 120 GB class anymore.

BTW, does your CPU power management work? I found that when using the iMac14,2 SMBIOS, mine works out of the box (according to the readings of Intel Power Gadget). I didn't expect that at all, I always thought you'd need a SMBIOS matching your hardware. I didn't try the iMac17,1 though.

Greetings,
Luka

Attachments

• Fujitsu P400 EFI 02-21-2019.zip
    26.4 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back