Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I went to the original Fry's off of Oakmead Pkwy in Sunnyvale back in 1985. It was an amazing place. Every time I was in the Bay Area or any other city that had a Fry's I would stop in waste a hour or two looking around. It was always good for finding stuff you couldn't normally find.

The other Silicon Valley institution that closed a few years ago was Weird Stuff Warehouse.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Some pretty sad news today, Fry’s is closing down >

I saw this too. When I lived in San Diego, my closest Fry's was just a few miles away. I spent many Black Fridays lined up at 3-4 am, sometimes just for the tradition of it, picking up FAR items that I didn't really need. For a few years, the employees used to bring coffee and donuts to the people in line.

Their transition to ecommerce was botched. When they tried to move the Black Friday deals to online, the website would crash. Even during regular times, the promotions were confusing as you had to enter a special daily code.

Over the last few years, the promotions got worse and worse. There was no reason to go there during the regular period and nothing compelling on Black Friday. The one in Palo Alto closed at the end of 2019. Then the writing was on the wall with the pandemic. I went recently to one here in the Bay Area, and it was completely empty.

Sad. Yet another victim of the shift to ecommerce, but I can find the best deals online through Newegg, Amazon, eBay, etc. There's always MicroCenter, but they aren't as widespread as Fry's, and I suspect they will be next. There just is no compelling reason to buy gear from the B&M anymore.