CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K Processor
Graphics
mthrbrd built-in graphics
This is my build:
Hackintosh Build April 2015
WIFI: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter
2.4GHz 450Mbps/5Ghz 450Mbps
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical BLT2KIT8G3D1608DT1TX0 16GB 240-Pin DIMM DDR3 1600
PC3 12800, Desktop Memory
MTHBRD: Gigabyte LGA 1150 Z97 HD AUDIO Support Multi graphics Micro ATX Motherboard Micro ATX DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 Motherboards GA-Z97M-D3H
GIGABYTE GA-Z97M-D3H
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz) (BX80646I74790K)
HRDRV: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM)
Power: Corsair CS Series 550 Watt ATX Modular and Efficient Power Supply CS550M
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 Cases FD-CA-CORE-1000-USB3-BL

This machine has ran Sierra flawlessly for 5 years.

I successfully performed a clean install of mojave, following this post.

multibeast settings:
Quick Start > UEFI Boot Mode
Drivers > Audio > AppleALC
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC Plugins
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC HWMonitor Application
Drivers > Network > Realtek latest version
Drivers > USB > USBInjectAll
Drivers > USB > Remove XHCI USB Port Limit <--- Adds PMHeart’s patch to remove XHCI USB Port Limit

Install and setup went smoothly. After first boot the only issue was no recognition of my ethernet card.
I tried this fix: tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-rtl8111e-not-work-ga-z68x-ud4-b3.233096/, which involved removing these files:

Removed any previous failed attempts from /Library/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions.
Open Finder and browse to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ then delete these two files :
  • NetworkInterfaces.plist
  • preferences.plist
I couldn't find the good Realtek Kext then found this:

There were a lot of responses saying this installer will add the appropriate kext. I ran it and rebooted and my computer is a brick.

It is frozen on Gigabyte load screen. I can't enter BIOS or access the boot menu. I can not interact with the machine to start over.
I tried pulling the CMOS battery and waiting 5 minutes and nothing changed.

If anyone has any advice on recovery or how to access the boot menu, please help!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Besides the battery, did you unplug the power cord or turn off the power supply?

If that doesn’t work, you can reset CMOS using jumper on the Motherboard >'Short' the Pins with a Flat Screw driver head under good illumination for 10-20 seconds.

Also, if that doesn’t work, try reinstalling the BIOS using a bootable USB stick. You can look up the process on Gigabyte

If that doesn’t work, Gigabyte boards have dual bios. You can flash the main bios using the backup bios

Also, having dual bios, you can use the switch to activate the backup bios.

just be careful not to corrupt both bios!

Here are a pair of methods that allow you to reset the bios on a Gigabyte board:

Method 1.
  1. Shut off your computer
  2. Hold the power button until your computer Starts and shuts down again
  3. Press the power button again, your backup Bios should kick in now and should refresh the backup BIOS if there's anything wrong with the new one.
Method 2.
  2. Hold the power AND the reset button for about 10 seconds. then release them
  3. It should boot in to the backup BIOS now.

Besides the battery, did you unplug the power cord or turn off the power supply?

If that doesn’t work, you can reset CMOS using jumper on the Motherboard >'Short' the Pins with a Flat Screw driver head under good illumination for 10-20 seconds.

Also, if that doesn’t work, try reinstalling the BIOS using a bootable USB stick. You can look up the process on Gigabyte

If that doesn’t work, Gigabyte boards have dual bios. You can flash the main bios using the backup bios

Thank you! I did try switching off the power supply and unplugging. I will try this method and let you know if it works.

Here are a pair of methods that allow you to reset the bios on a Gigabyte board:

Method 1.
  2. Hold the power button until your computer Starts and shuts down again
  3. Press the power button again, your backup Bios should kick in now and should refresh the backup BIOS if there's anything wrong with the new one.
Method 2.
  2. Hold the power AND the reset button for about 10 seconds. then release them
  3. It should boot in to the backup BIOS now.
Thank you for your response. I tried these resets without success. I will search Gigabyte for BIOS reset now that I know to start there. Let me know if you have any other ideas. I appreciate your help!

I tried to reset the CMOS by shorting the 2 pins. This didn't fix the issue. When I jumped the 2 pins the computer powered up and was still frozen at Gigabyte load screen. I then unplugged it and removed the battery for 10 minutes, shorted the pins again, then powered up with no success. Any other ideas? Thank you for your help.

I just realized this Z97M board doesn’t have a physical switch to change bios like my z87.

In this case, to get the backup bios, You need to do what @Edhawk mentioned

Have you tried putting in your usb install stick to see if it would boot through to the installer instead of the startup disk? Have you tried with a different SSD? I’ve had issues like this due to a bad SSD

Last edited:
There are two other methods you can try that are reported to work, i.e getting a Gigabyte board to switch to the (backup) B Bios chip or to clear the (main) M Bios.

Method 3.
  1. Turn the system on.
  2. Use a flat bladed screwdriver to short out the 'CLR CMOS' pins shown in the red rectangle on the attached motherboard layout.
  3. Remove the screwdriver blade from the pins as soon as the system beeps and restarts.
page_4.jpg Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 19.33.18.png CLR CMOS pins, item 14 on second image.

I have used this method a few times, when removing the CMOS battery failed to make any difference to my gigabyte boards.

Method 4 is not as user friendly as the others.

Method 4.
  1. Short out pins 1 and 6 on the M BIOS chip (pin #1 should be marked with an arrowhead), use a pair of tweezers or the ends of a straightened out paperclip to form a connection between the two pins.
  2. Tell a friend of yours to press the power on button, or do it yourself if you can reach.
  3. Remove the tweezers or paperclip you're holding between pins 1 and 6 as soon as you hear a beep.
  4. Backup BIOS should kick in, hopefully.

As with any shorting out pin procedure there are risks involved. That is the reason I didn't mention these options in the beginning. I was hoping that one of the other methods would work. The initial risk is that it doesn't work, going all the way up to bricking your motherboard. But as it is currently inoperative anyway, the risk might be negligible, only you can make that decision.

There are two other methods you can try that are reported to work, i.e getting a Gigabyte board to switch to the (backup) B Bios chip or to clear the (main) M Bios.

Method 3.
  1. Turn the system on.
  2. Use a flat bladed screwdriver to short out the 'CLR CMOS' pins shown in the red rectangle on the attached motherboard layout.
  3. Remove the screwdriver blade from the pins as soon as the system beeps and restarts.
View attachment 508699 View attachment 508700 CLR CMOS pins, item 14 on second image.

I have used this method a few times, when removing the CMOS battery failed to make any difference to my gigabyte boards.

Method 4 is not as user friendly as the others.

Method 4.
  1. Short out pins 1 and 6 on the M BIOS chip (pin #1 should be marked with an arrowhead), use a pair of tweezers or the ends of a straightened out paperclip to form a connection between the two pins.
  2. Tell a friend of yours to press the power on button, or do it yourself if you can reach.
  3. Remove the tweezers or paperclip you're holding between pins 1 and 6 as soon as you hear a beep.
  4. Backup BIOS should kick in, hopefully.

As with any shorting out pin procedure there are risks involved. That is the reason I didn't mention these options in the beginning. I was hoping that one of the other methods would work. The initial risk is that it doesn't work, going all the way up to bricking your motherboard. But as it is currently inoperative anyway, the risk might be negligible, only you can make that decision.
Thank you for the detailed answer. I tried all these methods with no success. Then I disconnected my ssd drives and solved it with method one. Thank you for your time. I am currently reconfiguring in multibeast!

Good to know one of the methods worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back